• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Air/Fuel and Spark Plugs

Adarcy

Howdy -

Factory 302 and Factory 2 Barrel at Sea Level (San Diego)

I feel like my Bronco is running really rich (from the smell). For those of you at sea level how many full rotations should I have my air/fuel screw on the carb back out? Right now it's at 3 full rotations out from the point where the engine starts to choke/die. It would make sense to me to be running rich now since it lived in Denver for most of its life.

I also just bought some new plugs since they have not been changed since 2008. They are the Motorcraft Platinum plugs. What gap should I have them at for a factory engine? I believe they come .035 out of the box.

Thanks!

oleguy74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
calif city ca
idle screws out is rich in is lean.also check vacume,should be 14-18 hg(inches of vac).if that is ok,check float level.might be to high...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Idle screw base line is about 2 turns out from fully seated after that you turn until you get the highest steady RPM or vacuum reading. Just because one person may have theres X turns out at sea level doesnt mean yours will be the same. Its a fine tune adjustment for each engine. Also igintion timing and overalll engine condition can play a big part.
I would also make sure your choke is fully opening when the engine is warmed up.

In all actuality a bronco that came from denver and tuned for that elevation would tend to be to lean when run at sea level.

If you still have the stock igintion I would also change the points as for plugs .035 is what you want for a points igintion. If you have electronic open the plugs up to about .044
Spark plugs should be changed about ever year or 10-15K miles. I really wouldnt waste the money on platium plugs on a carbed engine but thats just me. Carbed engines seem to need plugs changed at regular intervals no matter what type you buy.