• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Amplifier Problem (Or Possibly Subwoofers)

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Ok, This Isn't Exactly A Bronco Question, But The System Is In My Bronco So Technically It Is. When I Change Channels Or Volume Level, It Makes A Pop Sound And The Subs Hit. And When My Volume Is On 5 Or Below, It Makes A Noise That Sounds Like Air Leaking Through A Small Hole. Anybody Have Suggestions Or Know What The Problem Is???

73bronco

It sounds like you have your power cable routed too closely to your signal wires. It will induce a voltage into your rca cables and cause what you are hearing. Also cheap rca ables will cause this problem. I recommend running your power and rca cables seperate of each other and if that doesn't fix it then replace your rca cables with higher quality. Oh and one other thing...a cheap amplifier will cause noises like you are hearing. I installed a CRUNCH amp for a customer one time and I routed high qualty cable like I would in any other vehicle and I got noise out of it. When I tried a different amp without moving wires it was clean and noise free. Good luck!

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
It sounds like you have your power cable routed too closely to your signal wires. It will induce a voltage into your rca cables and cause what you are hearing. Also cheap rca ables will cause this problem. I recommend running your power and rca cables seperate of each other and if that doesn't fix it then replace your rca cables with higher quality. Oh and one other thing...a cheap amplifier will cause noises like you are hearing. I installed a CRUNCH amp for a customer one time and I routed high qualty cable like I would in any other vehicle and I got noise out of it. When I tried a different amp without moving wires it was clean and noise free. Good luck!

HAHA, That's The Amp I Have!!! But The Thing Is, I Have Ran It For 3 Days And It Didn't Start Till Today.

73bronco

;D Pretty ironic! If it didn't happen until 3 days later I would lead to the amp. It is possible you wore a little of the insulation off your rca cables but not likely. I would lean to the amp. Good luck!

OP
OP
JGbronc

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Also, The Air Leaking Noise Increases With The Engine RPM's. ?:?

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
That sounds like ignition noise.. Isn't there a resistor you can use to get rid of that?

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
,,,,,besides keeping power & signal cables apart as suggested ,,,, running a dedicated power distribution block direct from the battery & ground direct to the frame greatly helps in eliminating possible noises induced into the system & having to resort to using all those fix it filters for alternator whine & such,,,,I use 4 gauge welding cable which has as many stands as the fancy colored stereo shop wires ,but much cheaper.....

Attachments

• P5121415-small.JPG
    P5121415-small.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 36

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
it gets rid of the noise caused by your alternator, I believe it works like a ground wire for the feedback or sum-thin. It's called a noise filter or sum-thing like that. It seems like sum-1 told me it also dose some not so good things also... can't recall what that may have been now.

All I can tell you is that you'll never see 1 installed on a quality system. I think the better amps are sheilded or somthing.

I'd recomend going to a GOOD sterio shop and see what they recomend. It may be as simple as adding a distribution block or a better ground wire.

good luck my friend! Worst case, get a set of cherry bomb mufflers! Then you won't hear the small defects in the radio! ;)

:cool:

fitpays

Loc.
Woodstown, NJ
here's my 2 cents. when it comes to stereo stuff, there is a ton of competition among stores these days. with the increase in competition and the advances in technology, the price of equipment and installation is way down. i would go to a stereo shop and tell them that you need it trouble shot and see what it will cost. you might be really surprised how cheap it is. worse case scenario, they tell you what is up with it and you make the repair yourself. i am not saying just throw money at your problems, but there are certain things (like this) that are worth having an expert deal with. there is a shop about 25 minutes from me that takes really good care of me. i buy all brand new stuff, but the previous year models. like leftovers. you cant believe how inexpensive it is.

bigbadktm

Loc.
East CountySan Diego
i've never had to install an RFI, but i've only paid somebody to install a stereo once 10 years ago. saw how easy that was and have been doing ti myself ever since. with quality comes price. but i always buy last years models as well, same quality, less price. just run all new wires. no smaller than 8ga for your amp, thats will serve about 300 watts or so. nigh quality rca cables a 16ga remote turn on should do, and some quality speaker wires, i used to use 10ga.

mstark

Loc.
Batesville Arkansas
Not sure what all you've got, but you might be better off going with better components. I've had several friends that have put killer sound systems in there rides, all using name brand components that they got off of ebay for cheap. My brother runs a 12" Kicker L5 with 500watt Kenwood or it might be a kicker amp. The amp is one of the best you can get and he payed around $200 for it used. But long story short his sound system is as loud as I'd want it, it's all in a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it'll hurt your ears. I don't know of anyone that gets long life and good sound out of the cheaper sound system parts.

Right now I run two pioneer 6x9's with a Pioneer 12" and a Sony Xplod 600watt amp. It sounds ok but isn't what I want. I don't like too much bass, I want a lot of everything together, where I can listen to acoustic guitar type stuff, rap, and rock. When it's all said and done I plan on running the following speakers and amp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KENWOOD-KDC...8QQihZ019QQcategoryZ39751QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-S8L5-SUB...0QQihZ005QQcategoryZ18802QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/KICKER-KM620-MA...ryZ18799QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenwood-KFC-699...ryZ14942QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KICKER-ZX70...1QQihZ017QQcategoryZ39739QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I clipped this from one of the auction listings, might not be true but you can tell the difference in amplifiers.

"KICKER IS KNOWN TO PRODUCE THE HIGHEST QUALITY CAR STEREO AMPLIFIERS. 100 WATTS OF KICKER WATTS ARE EQUIVALENT TO 300 WATTS OF AMPS MADE BY OTHER COMPANIES. "

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
The hiss is most likely caused by a bad ground connection. Make sure your ground (amp and deck) is as short as possible, big gauge wire and the metal your grounding to is clean. If that doesn't work try new sparkplug wires. Old wires, or even new solid core wires can cause hissing as well. Personally I'm not a big fan of line conditioners. It's a bandaid not a slolution to the problem.
In addition to what 73 bronco said, if you have to cross your power and RCA wires do it at a 90deg angle.