• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

An amp with direct IPOD hookup (no head unit)

Bundy

Bronco Guru
The head unit in the Bronco gave out on me mid trail. Apparently it doesn't like being stuffed in the center console covered in dirt and spilled beer.

There were a few guys running their Ipods directly to the amp with no head unit which sounds great considering I have no doors or top. However I am looking for one that has the ipod direct attach instead of running the RCA to 3.5mm headphone jack.

I've found a bunch on amazon but they either don't have volume control (only gain) or they have the RCA to 3.5mm adapter. I'm only running two 250W boat speakers http://www.amazon.com/Cadence-FWB65B-Marine-Wakeboard-Speakers/dp/B005H5324O/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339695049&sr=1-2&keywords=cadence+speakers

Anyone have any suggestions?

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
or maybe a head unit with Ipod direct attach and no CD player? That would be what I am really looking for I guess so that it is small and inexpensive

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Currently the most cost effective way to connect an idevice to the amp is using the istreamer
Its priced right and the sound quality exceeds that of idevice/head unit combo because the istreamer has its own DAC that bypasses the lower quality ones on the idevice itself.

In addition the streamer will also charge your device, even the iPad which requires a 2.1 amp power source.

I have been using this for a while now whiteout any issue. If your device runs ios5 then you can control the volume directly from the screen.

http://www.amazon.com/HRT-iStreamer-12VDC-Auto-More/dp/B006QMP5AQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339696226&sr=8-2

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Currently the most cost effective way to connect an idevice to the amp is using the istreamer
Its priced right and the sound quality exceeds that of idevice/head unit combo because the istreamer has its own DAC that bypasses the lower quality ones on the idevice itself.

In addition the streamer will also charge your device, even the iPad which requires a 2.1 amp power source.

I have been using this for a while now whiteout any issue. If your device runs ios5 then you can control the volume directly from the screen.

http://www.amazon.com/HRT-iStreamer-12VDC-Auto-More/dp/B006QMP5AQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339696226&sr=8-2

The problem is I don't have an AMP... so I'm deciding between getting an AMP or just another head unit. This thing is pretty cool though.

Don't buy any "Dual" products. They are cheap but they don't hold up well in a Bronco.

Good to know- they actually have shitty reviews. This one looks good but isn't 'marine' so I don't know how it will do in the Bronco. http://www.amazon.com/Fusion-CA-ML600-In-Dash-MP3-Receiver/dp/B007LQETEY/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339697996&sr=1-1&keywords=fusion+CA-ML600

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Amp

Connection Cable

1/8 to RCA adapter

A little soldering to move the gain control and you're rocking for $30

Where do you do a little soldering? Would that change the gain knob to a volume knob?

pretty cool it will charge and play.

the JVC ones are cool but they are the same size as the CD player head units. Since this isn't goin in dash I need something small to fit inside the center console

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yea, I was thinking you could move the gain knob to make it a volume knob, but now I think you'd be better off with one that has the volume knob on it, or a volume knob separate from the amp altogether.

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
On the stang, i am running a cd/usb/aux kenwood head. It is great. but on the EB I am fearing it being stolen!

I like the OVERTON, or just a "mech less" head. this way no one with cd's can use it. this will give me control of music while camping. the only reason I am leaning fo rthe head unit is because I already have the hole on the dash.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogue Valley, OR
found an Ipod dock to rca cable. I made a little volume control with an audio leve stereo potentiometer and and some rca jacks. It.s pretty easy

ucbronco

Loc.
Summerfield, FL
I found the cable I needed to run my Ipod through my amp from radio shack. It simply plugs into the RCA jacks on the amp and the other end plugs directly into my Ipod. It cost around $5 and works great. I don't have anything except an amp and 2 speakers with a toggle switch installed to turn the power to the amp on. The Ipod adjusts the volume and I have tunes. It works great but isn't theater quality sound, but still gives me tunes on the trail.

Butch

G's Baja Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sunny SO CAL
I remember the old passive euqlizers and dash cross overs. I winder how they would do as a pre amp, that is all the ipod needs to feed more to the amp!

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I remember the old passive euqlizers and dash cross overs. I winder how they would do as a pre amp, that is all the ipod needs to feed more to the amp!

That was my though, put an EQ in the dash and call it a day, I am going to get one of the Bluetooth iPod connectors though if I do it, that way I can control it from inside or outside the vehical.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I installed a Boss marine system from Bass Pro shops for $89. ipod & mp3, sd card slot behind the removable front panel, usb slot, remote, 4 speakers. Sounds pretty good @ 4x50 watts. You can also hook an amp for more sound.
I can't believe how light these things are, and without a cd player they're real shallow so they don't need a lot of room behind the dash. No moving parts either is the key for off road.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I installed a Boss marine system from Bass Pro shops for $89. ipod & mp3, sd card slot behind the removable front panel, usb slot, remote, 4 speakers. Sounds pretty good @ 4x50 watts. You can also hook an amp for more sound.
I can't believe how light these things are, and without a cd player they're real shallow so they don't need a lot of room behind the dash. No moving parts either is the key for off road.

That's actually the one I ended up buying. I liked the idea, price, and size of the mini amps but they just had terrible reviews so I went with the same mechless head unit.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Good choice! I like the "mechless" units.

In my 78 Bronco I have the Sony Digital Media player. Model number is DSX-S100. I think it was $149 so not that expensive.

DSC01009.jpg

Since it holds your iPod inside the unit it's prbably deeper than the Boss marine system.

DSC01013.jpg

I have 2 PolkAudio 6 1/2" marine speakers.

Last edited: