• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anbody know if NAPA carries fuel sending units?

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anybody ever found a local place like NAPA,AutoZone,etc that carries a sending unit that will work for a factory rear tank? Alway had to order, but I need one ASAP.

Thanks Much,
Blue71

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
i looked this spring

they had a couple of universal jobs in a catalog. not sure if they'd work or not though. I just needed a float, so I said goodbye.

what's wrong w/ your sending unit? I ended up rehabbing mine (to get me back on the road). might be able to help ya out. email me at bronco069@hotmail.com if there's anything I can help with.

OP
OP
Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Scott,

This one is in my '69 that sat for 14 years before I got it. I've been driving it around for months on a 2.5 gallon can under the hood so as not to run any gas from the old tank. Finally pulled the tank, and the sender is rusted bad. Looks like its time for a new one. Imay give NAPA a look to see how thiers compares.

Thanks much,

Blue71

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
mine was rusted to hell

inside and out. but i figured i'd give a shot at rehabbing it before i shelled out the money (I'm cheap as hell). just get some acid from a home store and let her soak for a awhile before you trash it. it might cleanup good. still amazed at what mine looked like. radiator shop did the tank for $60. New o-ring from NAPA.

then i soldered a new wire to the resistor (for good measure). the pickup screen was trashed, but all the ford dealers in town had em. and the float went to i don't know where. never found it anywhere. still baffles me. but FORD had that too.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
My aux tank wasn't showing a reading when full. I checked and tested the leads and the gauge would work so I knew it was the sending unit. I ran the tank empty and pulled the unit, I found that the float was full of gas from a little hole. Look like the float was hitting the bottom of tank and that eventually wore a hole on the float.
I remembered pulling a unit out of a cracked tank that was badly rusted out. I knew I didn't throw it away, I found it in the back of the copper77. It still had a good float so I cleaned it up and swapped it.
No quessing anymore.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Both Napa and Ford told me the sending unit was an obsolete part for my '65 Mustang when I was trying to find a new one a few years back. I've never checked for one for the Bronco, but I'd imagine I'd get the same story. Good thing Wildhorses is just down the roa from my house in case I ever need a new one :cool: