• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Angle Grinder to Cut Painted Quarter Panel Protectors - Bad Idea?

the-glove

Loc.
Los Angeles
I'm wanting to cut my quarter panel protectors so that my hard top won't be sitting on them and will fit better. They are already painted. If I use a cut-off wheel on a grinder, is it going to destroy the paint near the cuts (flaking it off) and when I'm grinding down the cut? Best case scenario I'm thinking if the paint gets F'd up within a 1/8" strip along the cut, I can mask off and paint that whole strip black and it woudn't look horrible.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Ok by the sound of this you answered your own question. It sounds like a good plan to me. You could shim up your hard top and not cut anything. You might need to adjust the top of your door weather-stripping if you do this. I guess that is a bad idea. You could lay a wet rag on the steel as your cutting it. This would stop the burning. Cut off wheel will work the best I think. So are you done yet?

Last edited:
OP
OP
the-glove

the-glove

Loc.
Los Angeles
Ok by the sound of this you answered your own question. It sounds like a good plan to me. You could shim up your hard top and not cut anything. You might need to adjust the top of your door weather-stripping if you do this. I guess that is a bad idea. You could lay a wet rag on the steel as your cutting it. This would stop the burning. Cut off wheel will work the best I think. So are you done yet?

Guess I kinda did :D
I wanted to see if people thought it might damage more paint than just within 1/8" though.

Thought about the shim idea, but thought everything would fit better if I just cut em.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I'd be afraid the cutoff wheel would heat up the metal and FUBAR the paint. I'd be inclined to use a Sawzall and cutting oil. Then use a file to clean up the cut. I'd also use masking tape and mark the cut on it, so you'd be cutting through the tape. I would use a longish blade and hold the sawzall away from the metal and paint.

SK67

Loc.
Austin, TX
I'd be afraid the cutoff wheel would heat up the metal and FUBAR the paint. I'd be inclined to use a Sawzall and cutting oil. Then use a file to clean up the cut. I'd also use masking tape and mark the cut on it, so you'd be cutting through the tape. I would use a longish blade and hold the sawzall away from the metal and paint.

X2 on the sawzall.

wesleydax

cut off wheel and a water hose just enough water to keep it wet. Ive done it on a couple 34 dashes when changing inserts. go slow dont rush and the only touch up will be on the raw edge. and dont slip

OP
OP
the-glove

the-glove

Loc.
Los Angeles
cut off wheel and a water hose just enough water to keep it wet. Ive done it on a couple 34 dashes when changing inserts. go slow dont rush and the only touch up will be on the raw edge. and dont slip

"and don't slip"........ Lol.... We'll see!
Now I'm undecided on grinder versus sawzall. I'd think the grinder cut would be cleaner.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Tape it off and lay out your line. use a razor blade and cut through the paint down to the steel so it doesnt peel or chip when you cut. Cut next to your cut line. I would probably just cut close with a jig saw so you dont burn the paint then use a grinder to clean it up.

OP
OP
the-glove

the-glove

Loc.
Los Angeles
Tape it off and lay out your line. use a razor blade and cut through the paint down to the steel so it doesnt peel or chip when you cut. Cut next to your cut line. I would probably just cut close with a jig saw so you dont burn the paint then use a grinder to clean it up.

Great advice. Thanks

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I did mine with my plazma torch...using the extra fine nozzel...and of course pointing it away from the carpet. It took longer...to think about doing it..than it took.....to be done with it...