• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another gear pattern opinion request

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Ok, I am helping my father-in-law install a new set of 4.56's into his 77. Here are the pics of the pattern for the 9". Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC02135.JPG
    DSC02135.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC02136.JPG
    DSC02136.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 22

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Is that two different settings?
The 1st pic looks alright.
Do you have a pic with no load/coasting?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Madgyver said:
Is that two different settings?
The 1st pic looks alright.
Do you have a pic with no load/coasting?
It isn't hitting the tooth squarely. It's close to the heel on one side and close to the toe on the other. It's centered on the tooth but not square.

truehi9

Loc.
Dilworth, MN
What brand of gears are those?

Try going .005 each direction with pinion shim and take some pics with each result.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Same setting. I don't have any pictures of an "unloaded" case. I have the article that you mentioned, and figured that the pinion was too close, but I am lazy and knew that SaddleUp is good at guessing how much to move a pinion by just looking at a pattern. I am not that talented ;D .

The gears are Yukon gears. Pics kind of make the surface look funny.

Thanks for the replies.

OP
OP
Devin

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
How's the pattern look now?

This is 69Bronc's "Father-in-Law" logged in under 69Bronc's account. How does this pattern look to you guys now? I had to take everything apart last night because the surface on the Detroit locker where the Ring gear bolts on was runnung out about .005". It's back together now and looking better. I couldn't get the backlash set within tolerence because of the runout.
So, now that it is back together, tell me what you guys think about this pattern.

Attachments

• DSC02151.JPG
    DSC02151.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC02152.JPG
    DSC02152.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC02153.JPG
    DSC02153.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 6

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Pinion is still too deep (Pict #2) and I think after that adjustment the ring gear will need to move toward the pinion. Lots of trial and error, at least it's a 9''
Good luck
oh yeah I could be wrong.

bax

truehi9

Loc.
Dilworth, MN
I'd try .005 pinion shim each way, take pics, and show us again. Keep the backlash between .007 and .010. Some gear ratios you can just pull the pinion support and pinion assy. without touching the ring gear making changing pinion shims very fast and easy. This method can be done on all ratios if the 3rd bearing is left out.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
i thought it looked like the pinion needed to go deeper and back off the lash, but its been a while since i dunn one ?:?

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Before doing anything what is the backlash at? If it is more than a couple thousandths off then the pattern above can't be relied upon to determine how far off it is. I try to keep backlash at 0.008 to 0.010 however I'll go to 0.006 if it makes the pattern turn out nice. Never more than 0.010 though.