• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another Hydroboost Thread...

bronccar

With things like last week (simple process of building a 4x4x2 box turned train wreck when I realized that Rockauto had cataloged the part wrong and sent me the incorrect F150 gear box...after I had it in pieces) I am spending some time making sure that everything I have to assemble is as straight forward as possible and I know all the steps / parts / pieces involved.

I had purchased a 77 Lincoln HB unit, dodge MC and was going to use it with my angled bracket.

I am now discovering that I have to modify the rod to work (right?), and this is the kind of stuff I am trying to avoid.

Is there any HB that will work with the OEM booster bracket without a lot of modification?

If not, I plan on buying the Ebay bracket to use the 99 - 04 mustang HB and MC.

Thanks in advance. I don't want to spend more money than I have to, but I need to keep it simple for stupid ;-)

Keywords:
OEM Angled Booster Bracket, Lincoln, Astro, Mustang, 4x4x2 Box, Hydroboost

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I might be wrong, but I think only the Astro Van hydrobooster will bolt up to the stock EB angled bracket. I know the Ford Superduty won't. I'm not 100% sure about the Lincoln, but I don't think the bolt pattern is correct.

Secondly, in order to use a hydrobooster with the EB angled bracket, you need to swap out the bell crank portion in the middle of the bracket. There isn't a bolt on booster that simply works with the angled bracket as is.

When you're mixing and matching boosters and master cylinders from different manufacturers, odds are you're going to have to modify the push rod between the booster and MC. Nothing about a junkyard hydroboost swap is a bolt on.

There is a fair amount of modification and custom parts needed. That's the price you pay for a $200 hydroboost system vs. an $800 bolt on kit from one of the vendors.

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Thanks man.

I meant I assume I had to modify the bell and crank if I used the Lincoln, so sounds like I at least need to plan on getting that.

hogfan

I used the lincoln hydro boost on mine and didnt have to modify the bellcrank.I did have to build a bracket to extend it out an inch (i think). I also use my factory power brake master cylinder,works great one of the best upgrades ive done. I can post some pictures if you want,if i can figure out how to.

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

I used the lincoln hydro boost on mine and didnt have to modify the bellcrank.I did have to build a bracket to extend it out an inch (i think). I also use my factory power brake master cylinder,works great one of the best upgrades ive done. I can post some pictures if you want,if i can figure out how to.

So you used the factory angled bracket?

Pics would be great - you can email them to me if you like and I'll post

Rickb1b

If you guys have pictures of the angle bracket with hydroboost, please post them on here. I have an angle bracket with a broken vacuum boost. So if possible I'd like to go hydroboost.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
With things like last week (simple process of building a 4x4x2 box turned train wreck when I realized that Rockauto had cataloged the part wrong and sent me the incorrect F150 gear box...after I had it in pieces) I am spending some time making sure that everything I have to assemble is as straight forward as possible and I know all the steps / parts / pieces involved.

I had purchased a 77 Lincoln HB unit, dodge MC and was going to use it with my angled bracket.

I am now discovering that I have to modify the rod to work (right?), and this is the kind of stuff I am trying to avoid.

Is there any HB that will work with the OEM booster bracket without a lot of modification?

If not, I plan on buying the Ebay bracket to use the 99 - 04 mustang HB and MC.

Thanks in advance. I don't want to spend more money than I have to, but I need to keep it simple for stupid ;-)

Keywords:
OEM Angled Booster Bracket, Lincoln, Astro, Mustang, 4x4x2 Box, Hydroboost

I'll let Justin chime in here but I believe you can use the angled bracket Astro HB with its own angled bracket and then remove it's bracket then install the HB unit directly to the firewall with a reinforcement plate of some kind (LOCOFOMOCO) and the Astro brake pedal rod will be the perfect length. It sounds like the easiest way. No Stock Bronco bracket needed.

hogfan

I'll try and post them tonight after work. Ya i used the factory bracket and master cylinder.

catfan

Contributor
The Ebay kit for mounting the 1999-2004 mustang h-boost to the factory angled bracket has a new mounting plate with the same hole pattern as the astro unit. The mustang unit will be harder to find in the junk yard and the remans don't have the m/c push rod, spring or spring retainer. The super duty has a 4" push rod that could be shortened fit othe h-boost.

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

I found a gt set near me but no 99-03 Astro. Parts hotline yielded some results if I look further out.

Looking now to see if I can buy rod, etc separate.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Is that mustang cobra only?

Not Cobra only.

In general, if you want to pay more money for Mustang parts just add Cobra to what you call it.

There are a few Mustang hydroboost set-ups on eBay currently.

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Thanks.

Catfan says V6 above, all the threads I find on here say Cobra - but I like the not Cobra only, I have a 2004 Mustang V8 HB and MC local to me

Last edited:

catfan

Contributor
The 1999-2004 V-8 mustang M/C bolts on vertically the V-6 bolts on horizontally.

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Cool.

Rock Auto indicates that all use the same rebuilt (52-7360 as you indicated above)

Anything wrong with using the Mustang MC?

If not I am going to snag this 2004 local and go that route.

Thanks!

catfan

Contributor
Cool.

Rock Auto indicates that all use the same rebuilt (52-7360 as you indicated above)

Anything wrong with using the Mustang MC?

If not I am going to snag this 2004 local and go that route.

Thanks!

Are you talking about a used 2004 or remanufactured?

OP
OP
bronccar

bronccar

Used MC and HB out of a 2004 GT - $110 (grade A)

Just noting the Cardone # for reference

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
'96 to '98 Mustang hydroboost was a vertical MC flange.

'99 to '04 Mustang hydroboost MC flange was clocked about 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock (looking from in front).

catfan

Contributor
Used MC and HB out of a 2004 GT - $110 (grade A)

Just noting the Cardone # for reference

You better jump on it, I did some comparing and the super duty spring retainer is bigger than both the mustang and astro van ones. An 1/8 bigger than the astro van ans 1/4 bigger that the mustang one.