• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any hope for this top?

Bilgamesh

Loc.
Pilot Point, TX
Is there any way to keep my top from rattling? It seems like the metal has lost some rigidity and every time I hit a small bump it pops and rattles. All the glass is good, but I wonder if buying a new fiberglass one would be less work than renovating this one. I would appreciate any thoughts. - Thanks

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Mine rattled and oil-canned until I insulated it. I pulled out the head liner and put in 3/8" foam insulation fron the hardware store. I just used contact cement. The head liner fits right over it. Tightens the whole thing up and stays cooler too.

Mikey

Bronco Guru
I did the same but also bought some good windshield RTV adhesive and glued the top to the braces. Had to get a piece of wood and a floor jack to push the braces up to the sheet metal top.

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Oh yeah, that little tab that sticks up on the tail gate into the lift gate needs a piece of rubber on it.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Oh yeah, that little tab that sticks up on the tail gate into the lift gate needs a piece of rubber on it.

Bicycle inner tube is good for that. road bike tube.

fyi, 3/8 or 5/8 tubing is good for stock tire carrior sulencing too...

bosshoff

Contributor
Spray it inside with a bed liner material like Line-X. Expensive, but effective.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
mine sounds like an oil can on windy days flyin down the highway.
it's lost it's shape a bit too, so I was thinking of adding two more braces, as well as adding some insulation.
on the tab on the tailgate, an inch long piece of 5/8 hose worked well on mine to keep the liftgate from rattling on it.

Rob1962

Bronco Guru
My liftgate rattles and squeeks like CRAZY. Drives me nuts.

Anyway to fix that?

Rob1962

Bronco Guru
I don't think its the tailgate making all the noise, but rather, the liftgate.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
If the liftgate rattles, I'd start by replacing the hold-open-concussion inducing thingies with some gas charged struts.

Next, replace the bumpstop rubber in there. I built a 'better mousetrap' for my bumpers, out of some flat bracket stock and bigger bumpers for another car I found at the hardware store.

For the top - replace the adhesive between the bows and the top, that will keep it from making so many sounds. I have tack welded them as well (probably not the best idea, but it worked fine)