• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any interestin a Tremec TKO 5 speed

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
There is a local speed shop in my area that specializes in converting Tremecs into mustangs. I went and talked to him about what it would take to put one in a EB. He took a look at my truck and said it just might be doable. He would have to modify the tail housing and the output shaft to fit our transfer case.

If there is enough interest in this I will let him use my truck to develope the swap. What he would need is a stock 3 speed trans to use to develope the tail housing. It doesn't have to be a working transmision just to use as a referance.

So if there is interest in this let me know, and I will do most of the leg work and development with mike.

I think this might be a good alternative to what is out there.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
T5 = :mushroom cloud:

I've not had any good luck with that transmission. The gearing is not terribly impressive for trail duty and it's just not all that tough. I managed to kill more than one of them (new, from Ford) behind a 2.3L Ranger. I would never consider one for my Bronc.

That's just me, and some folks say that I'm a little hard on equipment.

OP
OP
DonsBolt

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Gummi Bear said:
T5 = :mushroom cloud:

I've not had any good luck with that transmission. The gearing is not terribly impressive for trail duty and it's just not all that tough. I managed to kill more than one of them (new, from Ford) behind a 2.3L Ranger. I would never consider one for my Bronc.

That's just me, and some folks say that I'm a little hard on equipment.

A TKO and a T5 are totally different animals
The TKO is rated for 500 lbs of torque, the T5 is rated at 225 lbs of torque

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/TKO.asp

RKM

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntingtown, MD
that and a t5 in a ranger is even different than one in a mustang....Still not a strong trans for a heavy beast like a bronco. A mustang t5 is not that strong for the car let alone a bronco. Unless you mod it, then that is even more money.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Gotcha. I kinda went off the deep end there. :-[

Are you planning on keeping this rig on the street, or will it see any trail time?

A ZF might be another good choice all around no matter what you do, and it's a truck transmission, it'll take all the torque your engine can likely produce.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
I'd rather have the ZF. Good low 1st gear and OD. If I weren't soo damn lazy and wanting an Auto, I'd go ZF or NV4500 anyday over a Tremec. Yes, even the TKO.

Plus... I'm getting tired of explaining to the wife all the "extra" stuff I need just to make my ride a daily driver. ARRGH!!!

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
TKO's are plenty good transmissions and I know a lot of guys that run them. The big issue you're going to find is that it doesn't have the lowest of first gear ratios and it's expensive right off the bat since it is a 100% aftermarket transmission. Those run something around $2500 new plus the adapters to make it fit, so more than a $1000 right?

I think most who wanted a similar transmission function would just buy the NV3550 and be done with it.