• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any tips for using POR 15 on the under body while on frame??

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
I am rebuilding my T-case and thought while it is out I would do some more rust proofing with POR-15. I have scraped, wire brushed and wiped as good as I can. I am trying to get ready to marine clean, etch amd apply the POR- 15. I just cant do a whole body off (the right way) at this point. I suppose I will have to just get in there, bust some knuckles, degrease the best I can and get after it. Any advice to those who have done the same? I am also doing the whole interior, but that should be easy enough. The wheel wells and engine compartmentwas done way back in 2000 and are holding up awesome still.

thanks in advance...

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
Take off as much as you can and concentrate your efforts on the seams. I'd get the body mounts off an replace them as well. Then you can jack up the body a little and get in there good. My body mounts on both the tub and frame were in the worst shape of any part of my truck and it's a very clean low rust rig.

Most important is the skin protection. Splurge on a tyvek suit with a hood and cover as much of your face and the rest of your body as you can. That stuff sucks to get out of your hair and off your face. The thinner will get it off if you get to it before it drys, but it burns like hell on the head and face.

OP
OP
TTTGOWYO

TTTGOWYO

Tyler T. - EB Obsessed
Loc.
Louisville
Nice.. I do have good sacrifical coveralls and thicker latex gloves that go over the sleeves. Didn't think about the face though.. :) I might invest in a clear face shield. You are probably right about the mounts. They look ok, but are almost 40.. :)

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
Cover yourself... Your floor... Anything that you don't want to damage or get it on.... Trust me... I know... hehhe

pierr

Loc.
Gordon,GA
Question...& it may help TTTGOWYO too! Can POR-15 be SPRAYED on??? Seems to me that it would look better & work good on bumpers,frames,etc if sprayed(they make a gloss black,u.v. stable version). If you've figured out a way..please share your method & how it turned out:cool:. Thanks,Pierr.

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
I brushed mine on and it came out great. You can spray it, but I didn't read the directions for spraying it on. They do have the instructions for spraying it on on the POR15 website. Here's a couple pics how mine turned out.

Here's the link on how to spray:
http://www.por15.com/quickindex.asp

scroll down on the page and click on the POR15 Application information.

Attachments

• IMG_0440.jpg
    IMG_0440.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 42

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
If you dont want it to fade to a dark gray flat color then you need to top coat it. POR is UV sensitive and will fade out in a year or two.

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
There are some folks on here that have sprayed it. I think a resperator is manditory for the spraying. The stuff slef levels pretty nice though. I didn't have any brush marks in mine. I used a 4in roller for much of my frame and foam brushes for the rest. I wouldn't use the foam brushes again though they just fell apart. Wait for the full amount of time it says between coats. I went for my second too early and got some solvent pop.

Evian

Loc.
Algonquin/IL
The key is to give it more than one coat. If you are planning on doing it during the winter (now when it is cold out) forget it. It won't cure right. Even if you leave it in a warm garage for a day or two it won't harden right. I learn this the hard way last year. Everything I painted peeled off. Everything I painted in the Summer is still rock hard. Yes, I use the metal ready both times.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
If you get it on you, you can get it off with lacquer thinner,if you do it in an hour or two.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Another tip for spraying underneath a Bronco is get a 3M PPS cup and liner. You can spray literally upside down with it. Minimum of 2 coats POR-15. If using a primer gun with a 1.5 tip about 5% reducer works good.
A safer alternative than laquer thinner for removing on the skin is 3M paint buster found at any body shop supply house.