• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone ever run 2 coolers on there c4

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I feel like the c4 runs too hot in crawling situations. On the street in never gets above 175 on the trail in goes up to 220 for short time frames. I would like to keep it around the 180 mark all the time. I'm currently running a derale 24 pass plate cooler and a 1100cfm fan in front of radiator and a fan shroud

I will say when I took it out the first time after installing it I had a cheap autozone Hayden cooler and fan and no fan shroud.

Will the plate cooler be enough or should I add the tube style cooler as well

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
220 for short time periods will not harm your C4. Running at that temp and higher for extended periods is bad. Mine has a blocked radiator trans cooler, a Derale tube w/fan on the passenger inner fender and a small plate cooler (no fan) in front of radiator. Never gets much over 175 but there are times under stress, off road when it gets to about 200. Be certain your temp gauge is accurate.

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
That was my other question is I put the sender to the b&m gauge in the pan it's really low in the pan close to the bottom. How do I know I'm not picking up temps from the aluminum pan as well. Where should I put the inline gauge if I decide to run two

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The pan is really the best point of reference of oil temp, since not all the fluid goes through the coolers, plus there will be a hot side reading and a cold side reading, depending on which line you put it in. I run two coolers, both stacked plate style, the primary cooler is rated 30,000#GVWR, has a shrouded fan. The secondary cooler is a 20,000#GVWR, and is mounted in front of the radiator. I deleted the radiator heat exchanger when I added the big primary cooler.

Mark

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I put the sender on the driver side low and towards the front

ZOSO

Trei you'll also see the trans temps drop big time once you gear it a little better. The atlas goes it and it takes a lot of stress off the trans.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
On the Fwy it runs 150*- 180*. On the trail, it stays between 180*-195*. On long, long tough climbs it gets up to 215*. Since I've deleted the radiator, It doesn't get hot from the motor, and the motor doesn't get hot from the trans. It used to be a big problem, I was always opening my hood at beverage stops. My gearing isn't really low. 4.56's, 35" tires, D20.

Mark

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I'm 40s with 4.88 and 2.46 transfer. I guess the 4.3 will be a little better and keep it cooler

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
It's a stock stall rate converter. I'm thinking about the same cooler as well for space. I'm worried about hitting it if it's under the truck

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
If you install the temp sensor in a cooler line there have been numerous discussions about in which line to install it, the one to the coolers or the one from the coolers. Mine is in the "to" line
because IMHO that's where fluid temp would be the hottest. Pan location is best but I was too lazy to do mine.

Ref your gauge just be certain the gauge and the sender match ie. B&M to B&M etc. I was using a B&M sender w/an Autometer gauge and I thought the tranny would explode from being overcooked. Later matched gauge to an Autometer sender and problem cured.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
It's a stock stall rate converter. I'm thinking about the same cooler as well for space. I'm worried about hitting it if it's under the truck

Mine is in that spot, highest on where the AUX tank would go. The rock sliders are below it to take hard hits.
I still put some expanded steel around it to keep smaller rocks flying at it at speed.
So far so good

ransil

Bronco Guru
I run 2 junk yard 90's explorer coolers mounted in front of the radiator

Attachments

• DSC00774.JPG
    DSC00774.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC00773.JPG
    DSC00773.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you install the temp sensor in a cooler line there have been numerous discussions about in which line to install it, the one to the coolers or the one from the coolers. Mine is in the "to" line
because IMHO that's where fluid temp would be the hottest. Pan location is best but I was too lazy to do mine.

I run one on each line with a DPDT switch to a single gauge.

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
Will the location in the pan effect it? Mine is low in the aluminum b&m pan. So low it sits below fins in bottom of the pan. Could I be picking up heat soak in the aluminum

74strokerbronco

Loc.
Monmouth, OR
Will the location in the pan effect it? Mine is low in the aluminum b&m pan. So low it sits below fins in bottom of the pan. Could I be picking up heat soak in the aluminum

not likely if the brass on the end of the sender is submerged in fluid, it should be reading only a fluid temp. 220 is not that hot, trans fluid i.e. type f does not show any break down tell in the 270 range typically. modifying your stock c4 pump and cooler passages in the case to be just like the c5 setup will go a long ways in helping a c4 cool better and live longer as well.

I had my previous c4 up in the 270- 280 range many times when working it EXTREMELY hard trying multiple times to pull others out that were stuck or trying to conquer a obstacle , 3200 stall does not help lol . it lived fine but I drew a line at 280 and would let it cool down when I seen it get in that range and changed fluid often.
my current trans is a full rollerized c4 with c5 lube mods and with the same cooler has never gone above 200 even after repeated 100 yard drags or playing on the dunes for hours.

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I have a c5 case with c4 good parts it is a built so we will see once the atlas goes in