• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone have a Wildchild bumper?

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
I'm looking at rear bumper options (affordable options). Looks like the Wildchild bumper with spare tire swingout & gas can holder is only $475 + shipping. Does anyone have one of these bumpers? If so what do you think about it? My rig is form follows function, not too concerned about the high end look. Thanks-- KJHill

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I'm sure I will be flamed by some for saying this, but I have not been impressed by any of the Wildchild products I have seen. I've had the lift off hinges that I wouldn't even install on my Bronco, and their underseat locker isn't all that great either. Just my opinion, please make an informed decision that you will be happy with.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i used to have their rear bumper, the basic one with no add on's. i welded a rockstomper hinge in it, it kept on cracking because the bumper steel was only 1/8" thick. i called sam and he said he could make them out of 1/4" if you wanted.

OP
OP
KJHill

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
Thanks for the input guys. I've got the lift off hinges from them also & they needed lots of work to be ready for install. For the price it still seems like a good deal... I'd go with the 1/4" version also. I'll have to think about it. %)

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
You can get a Cross Enterprises rear w/tire carrier for about $500. Those aren't too bad and are simple.

Skipdevil

Loc.
San Diego
I have bought 2 of Sam's products. The lift off hinges and his swing out bumper without the gas can carrier. I have been satisfied with them both.

The bumper is a good SIMPLE and BASIC bumper for those who do not want to spend a small fortune on some of the more elaborate ones out there. I had no issues with the quality and found Sam great to deal with. I intend on welding my own "custom" gas can carrier as I only need one gas can.

The hinges are a good deal for the price...you just have to spend some time sanding them and prep work before you paint. Not a big deal for me since I like doing that stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

Skipdevil