• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone in North Texas that can do an EFI swap?

jplespaul

Loc.
Mckinney, Tx
I live in the DFW area and I own a 1969 bronco with a 302. I've put a edelbrock intake and carb on it ..but I'm thinking I may like to go ahead and convert this over to an EFI setup. It currently has a three speed manual but I'm planning on switching to a C4 automatic very soon.

I basically want to keep my 302 block, I just want a simple EFI setup... only problem is I don't think I want to attempt this alone .. wanted to see if there were any recommended mechanics in the area that have experience in doing something like this with an early 302.

Comments, suggestions much appreciated

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I live in Sunnyvale so you are quite a ways from me.

Do yourself a big favor and stay with a complete stock ford system. Most will agree it is the way to go. But the best thing about it is that you can buy anything over the counter. May not be a big deal for a trailered off road rig but it is nice to be able to walk into a parts store 400 miles from home and get what you need, rather than waiting on the aftermarket supplier to ship it to you.

If you are going to stay with a basically stock 302 you have a lot of cheap options. You can get a SD system from an 87 or 88. THey are not as highly sought after. I got mine of ebay for $90 complete with harness, sensors, and two computers. One standard and one auto. A stock 320 will not out breath these components. No need to upgrade throttle body, runners, injectors anything. It is by far the cheapest easiest route.

If you are going to hop up the 302 you will want to go to a MAF system 89-93mustang, It is possible to reprogram some of the SD computers but the MAF will be cheaper and easier in the long run.

I installed a SD system on my basically stock 71 302. It has shorty headers, super single exhaust, RV cam, and a K&N filter stuck right on the throttle body. Runs really nice set up like this. Even better if I bump up the timing and use premimum fuel.

My job,travel schedule and my own projects just don't allow me to help much but you are more than welcome to come on by the house sometime and look at my installation, and even drive it if you want. I even have some SD wiring diagrams that I altered for the installation withy colors and everything correct for the 87 system. I also have also installed all of te resistors to eliminate the check engine lights for pollution equipment and that tell the computer the EGR valve is closed.

PM me if you want to come by, we will set up a time. If you can read a wiring diagram you can do this by yourself. The ford SD sytem is one of the easiest of all manufacturers to retrofit to an old engine. It does not need a VSS or knock sensor. Wiring is very simple once you take everything you do not need out of the harness.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Gather up all the parts, and we can probably bang out most of it in a day with a Wrench-A-Thon.

Provide some cold drinks and food, and make a good time of it.

Get on the LEBC email list, if you aren't already. There's a pretty good bunch of us in the area.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
BC's Broncos is having an EFI seminar THIS weekend; Sat. the 26th! I know it's short notice, but if you don't have anything going... Give Jason a call if you want to try and make it!

J.D.

4rdnuts

Loc.
Tyler, Texass
have not ever done a bronco efi swap. I have done them in boats. Id lend a hand, learn a thing or 3, and meet some of the other bronco guys

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
for the street ford is a good way to go but for a trailered rig i would have to look at that universal howell efi if you find a really good deal on a speed density (sd) then you could upgrade later to a mass air if you altered you engine

OP
OP
jplespaul

jplespaul

Loc.
Mckinney, Tx
Thanks everyone for your input, this place rocks.

I'm currently shopping around for all the necessary components for the EFI swap... will definitely throw a shout out there once I have everything I need and hopefully we can get this thing done.

OP
OP
jplespaul

jplespaul

Loc.
Mckinney, Tx
Hey Fordguy, just cruised the Howell website... pretty sweet stuff... kinda pricey though..

Nevertheless.. definitely has my wheels turning.... the wife's wanting a new big screen... wonder if she'll understand :)

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
I'm in the same boat as you are. I've collected 99% of the parts but just need the time to tear into everything. Maybe we need to pool both our trucks in one location and hold an EFI swap day?? I've got all the EFI stuff off an 93 mustang, RM Harness, hi&low pressure pumps and the fuel accumulator (all from BCB), and a roll of stainless steel fuel line tubing. Just missing a high pressure fuel line and some misc fuel line parts and I'm ready to go.

I'm in Grapevine.

OP
OP
jplespaul

jplespaul

Loc.
Mckinney, Tx
I’m now thinking of doing the EFI setup from Howell… it is a little more $$ compared to just buying mustang parts but it appears to be a much easier install and a cleaner looking one. Not that the mustang setup looks bad… but with the throttle body EFI setup from Howell you can run a more traditional looking breather setup and it sort of keeps the stock look going.

Once I get this transmission swapped out and install the tilt column I might just order their system and get to work on that

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
The Ford stuff is 100X better and has more after market support, even in Mexico. I had two guys trade me the throttle body type injection for carbs about 5 years ago because they couldn't get it to work well,I still have that stuff in a bucket.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I think the new stuff is much better than the old stuff was but still not near as good as the ford stuff. The ford stuff may be more complicated to install but I think the extra effort is worth it. And with a little effort you can install one for less than $1000 including the RJM harness.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Why not just hit a pick and pull salvage yard? You could get everything you need from a ford, lincoln or mercury with a 5.0 for dirt cheap most likely...including the serpentine system.

OP
OP
jplespaul

jplespaul

Loc.
Mckinney, Tx
That had crossed my mind however, I'm still unsure of exactly what I will need to get..

A listing of sorts would be most helpful and then I can insure nothing is left behind and I don't run into an issue while doing the install.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
That had crossed my mind however, I'm still unsure of exactly what I will need to get..

A listing of sorts would be most helpful and then I can insure nothing is left behind and I don't run into an issue while doing the install.

Go to BC's seminar tomorrow with a note pad, a pen, and a camera, and you will be set. Too easy!

OP
OP
jplespaul

jplespaul

Loc.
Mckinney, Tx
Would love to attend BC's workshop but it's a little too far way and with this short of notice it's just not in the cards unfortunately.

I feel I have a fairly good idea what all I'll need to look for, and thankfully with guys out there like you all if something turns out a "miss" I'll surely throw out a plea for help.

Thanks guys

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Go to BC's seminar tomorrow with a note pad, a pen, and a camera, and you will be set. Too easy!

Good advice. I would if I were close enough and I already have mine in and running.

As far as a listing of what you need...check out www.fordfuelinjection.com Lots of tech articles, lists, technical info and even products to make it happen if you need them. Good luck.