• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone know what kind of header bolt this is?

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I don't know what these header bolts are called or why they have a ridge in them, but I am looking to replace them and not having much luck.

Anyone know what these are or if I can replace them with just a normal hex plug type bolt?

Attachments

• P9190126.jpg
    P9190126.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 17
  • P9190127.jpg
    P9190127.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 13
  • P9190128.jpg
    P9190128.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 10

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
I think they were made for an Eclip type thing to keep them from backing off. Dont remember who made them. JMO More trouble than they were worth. PO must have thought so also since they are no longer there. Regular header bolts will be fine.

IFLYHOOKS

Loc.
Clarksville
They are called Stage 8 header bolts and can be purchased from a number of our vendors. They are designed with a clip, as previously mentioned, that has a couple of flat spots that rest against the header to keep the bolt from loosening. I have been using them for about 8 years and have no issues with them. Mine are stainless also, so the corrosion is a non issue.

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
i think you guys are correct although they didn't have clips on them when I removed them. I am a tad reluctant to spend $50-$65 on header bolts and as Dbevins noted, are probably a bitch to get on and more trouble than they are worth!

Thanks guys!

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Do I need to use any locktite or anything? Iwas just going to use some assembly lube because the holes are pretty grimey.

robofig

When I bought my stage 8 bolts they were about 50 bucks and worth every penny.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Do I need to use any locktite or anything? Iwas just going to use some assembly lube because the holes are pretty grimey.
No locktite. It's too hot for most types of locktite to really work correctly.
You could use anti seize or oil. I just blow them out and test the bolts before I put the headers back in.

gjrock

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Anacortes,WA
I installed those 6 years ago and never have to tighten them again. Those with the foil gaskets are the best way to go.