• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone Rich Enough to afford Krawlers?

z70what

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Johnson City
BFG KRAWLERS that is...IF so, how well do they ride on the road?? Noisy? not so much? good wear? I've seen all the Ultimate Adventures (Petersen's) over the past five years (actually have all of them on tapes and dvd's).... but what do the fellow bronco owners think?? Thanks

Luke

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I don't have a set myself but a good freind is running 35" Krawlers on a Toyota. They have very liitle road noise not much more than a BFG MT or similar tires. We couldn't tell any major diffrence in ride from his old baja claw radials. They are soft and show some wear after only about 2,000 miles, to few miles to tell how long they would last. He only drives it when going wheeling. From what I hear they would be a poor choice for a daily driver cost wise.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
They work very well in the rocks and are reasonably quiet on road for such and aggressive tire but they are very soft and have a very short life if driven on the road. I could see forking out the cash if it was a pure trail rig and saw very little to no road use otherwise it would be a waste and you would be buying new treads before you knew it.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was fortunate enough to get a set of the 39's from a comp. buddy who was sponsored by BFG two years ago. I have NOT ever run them on the paved road. They are on the trail rig for trail use only. When it is driven on the street I run 40" MTRs. Yes to what the other posts said about running them on the street. To give you a quick idea of them off road-FANTASTIC!! I took off a set of grooved 42" TSLs to run the Krawlers. Their bite/grip is unbelievable. I used to have to "heat up" the 42s to get good traction on some of the stuff we run. The Krawlers will go w/o the need to heat up as long as they are aired down enough. My rig weighs 4900-5k depending on parts in the box so I run them around 9-11 psi... The tires have been run in Paragon Park, Pa. a couple of times and many times through Tellico, NC/TN. They also do well in muddy conditons. You referenced the Ultimate Adventure, gossip here and there says a "DOT" version of the 39 is supposed to be coming out.... That would be a longer lasting tire vs. the comp compound but still you could probably watch your $s wear off on the pavement.
HTH,

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Just thought I would add that they performed really well in the snow, we took a early trip this year and found a lot of snow on the trail still, we made all but a 100 yards from our destination and broke a front drive shaft and was able to make it all the way back in 2 wheel drive not easy though, required a lot of rocking and pushing but did better then alot of others in the group.

mstark

Loc.
Batesville Arkansas
There's a friend of ours here by the name INPHOBIC, he went on Peterson's Ultimate Adventure last year, or the year before last. He's got the orange Bronco, BFG became one of his sponsors at or just before that event so he got a free set of the 37's and he loves them. At last years OCBR we were right behind him on the cruise through town and they weren't much louder than our 33" BFG MT's. He said they felt pretty good on the street too.

OP
OP
z70what

z70what

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Johnson City
yea, i've seen that orange bronco.. actually i have Ultimate Adventure dvd's from 2002, 2003,2004, and 2005.... I'm a big fan of the videos.. pretty good, and his bronco is sweet too.. Thanks

Luke

broncorob

I can't tell you about on-road but competing in UROC I don't care how much money Maxxis or anybody else was willing to pay us I would still pay money for the crawlers. I believe at supercrawl a year or so ago Maxxis was offering $2000 cash plus a set of tires to run them at SC. I don't have first hand experience in any mud either, but I've heard they're great.

Cooter_76

mstark said:
There's a friend of ours here by the name INPHOBIC, he went on Peterson's Ultimate Adventure last year, or the year before last. He's got the orange Bronco, BFG became one of his sponsors at or just before that event so he got a free set of the 37's and he loves them. At last years OCBR we were right behind him on the cruise through town and they weren't much louder than our 33" BFG MT's. He said they felt pretty good on the street too.

I took this pic of INPHOBIC at the LEBC Roundup and had the pleasure of talking with him later that evening. Nice guy.

Attachments

• Picture 033b.JPG
    Picture 033b.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 159

66Gasgrill

Loc.
Canton, NC
I've ran my 37"s on the road very little to and from the trail head. What road time they have seen has been fairly pleasent. Pretty well mannered tire on the road and as others have said very quiet in comparison. Off road probably THE best all around tire I have ever used. They work great for normal trails and are awsome in the rocks. They also perform well in mud and snow.
I agree with what others have said, even with the harder compound tires, you are still looking at a very soft grippy tire, constant street use will kill them in short order.

Just to clarify there are or were 2 different compounds Red, ie. Drag slicks with lugs. And Blues, More along the lines of a Drag radial with lugs. I have the blues, most comp guys run reds.

House

Minutia Militia
While we are talking Krawlers, have any of you that have them tried siping them yet?

JRS77

Loc.
Omaha, Texas
I have a set on my 76 trail buggy and love them. Wish they came in a little bigger size. I have the 39".