• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

anyone run these or ever seen anything like this

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
so this week i was on my way to orlando and was in the airport and picked up a magazine i never saw before called Lifted Wrenched & Raised. while flying down i saw a add in the back for a product that might make our trucks ride a bit less bouncy. listen i know we are running a short wheelbase but i think most guys here would reach for anything that would take the kidney bashing out of the ride especially some of us older guys. so if anyone is running these or has any experiance with this post up what you think and if it is worth the money. here is the website www.sulastic.com
i e-mailed the company cause i did not see a specific setup for early bronco and they e-mailed me right back with a pdf file on how to measure our shackles and see if they have something that might work for the bronco.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
If your looking for an application that would work on a Bronco, try a mid 70's F-100 or F-150.
They look a little gimmicky to me.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Not sure how they are made, but pretty sure a trip to Moab would turn the rubber to dust.

OP
OP
M

marty

Loc.
massapequa, n.y.
well i am not a seriuos off roader. most time is spent on road. so some of you have seen these things. do you have any experiance in how they work, i mean i understand the theory just would like to know real world experiances.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the design concept and could see it bringing quite the improvement in street ride comfort. . What worries me is the longevity; how long can you torsionally 'work' that elastomeric center 'spring' before it rips out?

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For the same price some better shocks would make more of a difference!

I disagree. Shocks provide damping. That 'gizmo' replacing the shackle adds another suspension 'spring' in series with the leaf spring, thus creating a more non-linear variable spring out of the combination and adding a lower 'k' spring rate in to the equation. So for a limited range of suspension travel (the 'small stuff' experienced over the highway in other words), that additional spring in series could really smooth things out...in conjunction with good shocks, of course.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a 1988 heavy duty F250 that was so stiff in the rear that I had to use 4WD to crawl up wash boarded gravel roads. I couldn't lower the air pressure down enough to soften it up yet keep my payload rating up. I opted for the Velvet Ride shackle replacements and was greatly impressed. It freed up the rear end to flex and move over the small bumps but straightened out and let the big springs pack the weight. I thought about them for the Bronco, but haven't seen them advertised in years. I liked how simple they were with minimal parts to fail or collect dirt/mud.

ransil

Bronco Guru
well i am not a seriuos off roader. most time is spent on road. so some of you have seen these things. do you have any experiance in how they work, i mean i understand the theory just would like to know real world experiances.

google bfg velvet ride and see what shows up.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While I dont see why they wouldnt help for the price you can just get new rear springs that will ride nice. Many of the springs availible give a really nice ride and you wont have to worry about trying to find a application that will fit. Also tire pressure can play a big roll in how the vehicle rides just as springs and shocks do.