• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone running full hydro?

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I recently installed full hydro steering and wheeled it with some minor problems. I'm sure everything is related to the reservoir being mounted too low - where are you guys mounting your reservoirs?

Here is where mine is sitting - mounted it in the front corner of the fender/grill to try and keep it away from the heat coming off the motor/exhaust. The can sits higher then the pump, but the fitting on the bottom sits lower then the fill on the pump, which is wrong.

Where could I mount it to get it high enough to gravity feed the pump?

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Try on the front of the fender skirt mounted a little high on that.
Another location is as high as possible on the radiator mount in front of the rad (so to speak) A little work to drill the mount holes but you may get the height you need and keep everything cool. You are correct, the reservoir MUST be higher than the pump. length of the lines is irrelevant but longer lines mean more oil needed in the system.
TOFIC

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
another idea (occasionally I have a good one) can you mount the PS pump llower on the engine. Some ford vans had the low mount so you may be able to find one.
TOFIC

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
another idea (occasionally I have a good one) can you mount the PS pump llower on the engine. Some ford vans had the low mount so you may be able to find one.
TOFIC

I spent some big money on the bracketry setup, but I'd be game to modify it.

Try on the front of the fender skirt mounted a little high on that.
Another location is as high as possible on the radiator mount in front of the rad (so to speak) A little work to drill the mount holes but you may get the height you need and keep everything cool. You are correct, the reservoir MUST be higher than the pump. length of the lines is irrelevant but longer lines mean more oil needed in the system.
TOFIC
I'd love to try it there - but right now it is within 1/4" from hitting the hood... Not sure how I can get it higher - doesn't matter where I put it, I need it high, and can't because it will hit the hood.

Pump needs to go down, or reservoir needs to get shorter and wider.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I mounted my reservoir (I have the same one) directly across from the pump on the fender skirt. You would also do well with shortening that hose from the reservoir to the pump. I was told that it needs to be no longer than 16-18" (mine's about 13")

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Could I please have some pictures? I'd like to fix this before I go wheeling again...

The hose is their exact longest measurement of 18" - probably be better if I shortened it.

Thanks - look forward to seeing your setup.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
Is it possible to rotate the pump so that the line from the tank to the pump is on the bottom? Or maybe 90 degrees to get rid of the 90 degree fitting. A full flow fitting would be better.

Last edited:

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
You're right RCM, a smoother transition fitting would be better, that one's there in the interest of space I think.

You can't rotate the can, or your inlet/outlet ports won't match up. Running the pump upside down won't work either, because of the shape of the mounting holes (not square, more trapezoidal) I had the same thoughts.

Kyle, I'll try to find a pic for you this evening (if I forget, shoot me a PM as a reminder, and I'll get one. All my good pics are at home)

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Thanks man - I never liked the setup the way it was, but time was short and it worked.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Here's the pics. They're old, from when I first installed it. I'll try to get some more pics this week if you want.

Attachments

• P4110067.JPG
    P4110067.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 10
  • P4110068.JPG
    P4110068.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 6
  • P4110069.JPG
    P4110069.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Yeah - some more pictures would be cool. I'm not sure, but it looks like your pump sits a bit lower and the outlet for your reservoir isn't as low as mine. Mine comes directly out of the bottom, which adds to the height problem....

Thanks man