• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AOD/205 Crossmember questions.

treedodger

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I am working on my 72 Bronco project and was looking for a little info. I am building frame up and have my Explorer 5.0 installed and bolted up to my built AOD to my 205 transfer case. I am now in the process of building a crossmember. Since my body is off I am not sure how high to raise the rear of the transfer case so I will know the location of the crossmember. If I level out the top of the intake manifold the rear yoke seems way to high. How high should the bottom of transmission mount be from bottom of frame if you run a strait edge across it? I have a 5.5" long travel suspension lift from Tom's and was thinking about adding a 1" body lift since that seems to be the recommendation for extra clearance. Any help would be appreciated.

WorkerBee

Loc.
Northern CA
I don't have the AOD but I run the 205. My intake manifold is nowhere near level and I have a 1" BL. If I remember correctly I left about 1/2" above the 205 and the floor brace but I can check the exact measurement when I get home.

I just finished this cross member and as you can see the 205 still hangs down low. If you go with a larger body lift it will help, but you'll run into even more problems with the passenger side idler pulley hitting the frame. Mine is close as it is and you can see how far I have it tilted back.

if you need more specific measurements let me know and I'll take a look tonight. These pics should give you an idea.

Attachments

• 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 4766.jpg
    4766.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
T

treedodger

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Thanks for the information, I am concerned also with drive shaft angles in the rear with the 5.5 lift. I spoke with Bronco Connection and they got me thinking about maybe going with a Dana 20 to avoid some of these issues. Only problem is the cost. I would need another t-case, adapter and have to have my transmission taken apart again to install new tail shaft. Guess I need to weigh my options again.