• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Applying Seam Sealer

Phoenix0783

I'm getting ready to apply seam sealer to the quarter panel and the quarter extensions. Should I cut just a tiny opening in the tube so it comes out in a tiny bead? How deep does it need to go and should it be recessed at all? Doesn't anyone have pics before paint was applied over the seam sealer? Thanks.

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
Here's pics of how I did mine. I always use 3M's seam sealer, but I use the type you apply with a brush. This way you can be generous with the amount you use. I wipe it down with lacquer thinner when I'm done. Pretty easy task. Make sure you tape it up good on the spots you don't want it.

Attachments

• heatherseb%20113.jpg
    heatherseb%20113.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 132
  • heatherseb%20115.jpg
    heatherseb%20115.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 196
  • heatherseb%20117.jpg
    heatherseb%20117.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 196

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Here's pics of how I did mine. I always use 3M's seam sealer, but I use the type you apply with a brush. This way you can be generous with the amount you use. I wipe it down with lacquer thinner when I'm done. Pretty easy task. Make sure you tape it up good on the spots you don't want it.

That's about how I did mine too. Came out pretty good considering I'm an amateur. The paint laid down nice over it too.

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
I use Eastwood's Surethane, it's also an adheasive so it sticks great, and is like rubber when it dries. There are a lot of good products out there though.

I cut the tube so that the bead is about as wide as the seam I'm filling. That way there is no tooling or wiping necessary unless I screw up. If you go with a product that is in a caulking tube, get a good gun that releases automatically. A lot of people hold the gun on an angle ahead of the tip, and cut the tip on an angle. It's hard to get good results that way.

If you cut the tip square, and hold the gun at about a 90 degree angle to the seam, it's much easier to get good results. Doing it that way also pushes the sealer deeper into the seam, instead of just laying it on top of the seam. After a little practice, the days of laying it off with your finger will be gone.:)

Here's a pic, not the best, but all I had.
DSCN1904.jpg

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Mine wasn't going to be perfect, so I just taped the thing off and laid a generous bead down the seam. I then used my finger to spread the sealant down the seam and force it into the seam. It came out pretty nice considering I had no clue what I was doing. The guy who sprayed it for me said it looked great. Good luck!

hose101

Contributor

I dont quit get how you prep the seam sealer for paint following application. In your photo it looks like a kid with a helmet put it on but in the follow up pics the prime/paint looks great. Where you able to achieve this by wiping down with a lacquer soaked rag or did you have to smooth it some other way?
is there a sandable seam sealer out there that anyone knows about?

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
I dont quit get how you prep the seam sealer for paint following application. In your photo it looks like a kid with a helmet put it on but in the follow up pics the prime/paint looks great. Where you able to achieve this by wiping down with a lacquer soaked rag or did you have to smooth it some other way?
is there a sandable seam sealer out there that anyone knows about?

You use the thinner on a rag after you remove the tape. I put it on generously like that so it fills in all the grooves really good. Then just wipe it down and you're done. It's much easier than it looks :p . Took me about an hour to do both sides. The inside will require more time, but the same general principle still applies. Don't be afraid, seam sealer is your friend!!