• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Are these stock Front Shock Towers?

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
Wondering if these are the stock front shock towers or not.
about 10" long from top to bottom, 7" from top of tower to frame rail.

Thanks.
-Robert

Attachments

• Front Shock Tower.jpg
    Front Shock Tower.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 134
OP
OP
SDlivin

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
Thanks Greg.

Can someone else confirm.

Also, planning on doing a 3.5" lift. With that said, how do you figure out what size shocks you would use? I am guessing with the lift kits available, they aren't taking into consideration the extended front shock mounts.

Thanks.
-Robert

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Those are stock towers. The F250 towers use a bolt perpendicular to the shock to mount.

To measure for shocks, install your springs and find somebody with a fork lift or RTI ramp. You will want to flex each corner to the point where a second tire starts to come off the ground, and measure the max length on the extended side between upper and lower mounts. You will also want to measure for bump stops on the opposite corner, along with what will be the compressed shock length on the compressed side.

Do this on all 4 corners then order shocks that exceed the extended length by an inch or so, and that can compress more than the compressed length that you measure. Bottoming or over-extending shocks can be quite destructive.

Good luck.

OP
OP
SDlivin

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
Thank you Folks.
Riddle solved, and I was sooo hoping that something on the suspension on my rig was updated.

TN1776, thanks for the elaborate explanation. well read.

-Robert

OP
OP
SDlivin

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
OK... that is an optical illusion... When I looked at the photo they looked WAY taller than the coil spring...

Here is what the F250s look like... They go all the way to the top of the fender well. So I was wrong...:)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_WE5A4y2gyevhrcuKzgHt5Vb8RYYBkZZxgcvTSXEMqc?feat=directlink

Greg

You're right, bad pic I submitted, it does imply a larger tower.
Very clear in the picture you sent.

Okay, with that said. Where can I get the F250 Towers? Auto parts store? Eb Vendor/supplier or junk yard only? If junk yard only, what years am I looking for?
Thanks!
-Robert

Jerseydevil

Loc.
West Chester PA
Umm, if those are stock towers, why did my lift kit come with shocks that have eyelets on both the top and, bottom? I know I should have done more research before ordering, but what's done is done. I now have shocks that won't mount up to the towers:( which look almost exactly like the ones shown here), unless, there is something im missing:)
In summation, after receiving a lift kit, I eventually noticed the shocks won't mount to my front towers, because the mounting hole on the tower is vertie while the shocks have a horizontal eyelet.
What would you do? I've had the kit in my barn for a few months so I doubt a return will happen. But, I'm ok with that; I just don't know which direction to go yet.

bluesbish

Loc.
Upstate New York
Okay, with that said. Where can I get the F250 Towers? Auto parts store? Eb Vendor/supplier or junk yard only? If junk yard only, what years am I looking for
?

I got mine for about 20 bucks a piece from the local ford dealer. I am an employee so I got a discount. I think I asked for them for a 95 f250 or 350. but they were virtually identical to the ones I had from an 86 f350. I think just the bolt holes were different but it didnt matter since you weld them onto the eb frame anyway.

OP
OP
SDlivin

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
Umm, if those are stock towers, why did my lift kit come with shocks that have eyelets on both the top and, bottom? I know I should have done more research before ordering, but what's done is done. I now have shocks that won't mount up to the towers:( which look almost exactly like the ones shown here), unless, there is something im missing:)
In summation, after receiving a lift kit, I eventually noticed the shocks won't mount to my front towers, because the mounting hole on the tower is vertie while the shocks have a horizontal eyelet.
What would you do? I've had the kit in my barn for a few months so I doubt a return will happen. But, I'm ok with that; I just don't know which direction to go yet.

Those the rear shocks maybe?