• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Art Carr/Winters Shifter W/Lokar Kickdown

Stingray240cs

Loc.
Corinth, Texas
I'm in the middle of installing my Art Carr shifter and actually a Gearhead kickdown and had a question. I plan on following the basic instructions for installing the shifter, but is it okay to add the kickdown bracket to the top bolt of the shifter bracket? Is the bolt long enough to handle both brackets? Should I get a longer bolt? I'm just not sure if the bolt requires a lot of thread on that part of the C4 transmission to do it's job. I've tried searching and haven't been able to find any pictures of this setup although I'm guessing it's fairly common. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Just to clarify, I'm only concerned with the brackets on the C4, not up top. Thanks!

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
Sorry, I can't answer your question specifically as the shifter and lockdown cable goes but, I was always taught that you should have at least six threads running into the component being bolted to. That being said I have seen bolts run in using two or three threads into a component. The end result was the bolt working its way out damaging the bolt and the threads in the component.

u10072

Bronco Guru
The kick down and selector are completely independent of each other. You are also going to have to modify the mounting bracket that came with the kit.

OP
OP
S

Stingray240cs

Loc.
Corinth, Texas
Thanks guys. I installed everything last night and the clearance between the cable and the shifter arm is too small. Even with bending the kickdown bracket a little. Looking at the pictures this morning, I think I bent the bracket a little sideways. To fix this, I'm going to get a longer bolt and add about a 1/4" spacer under the kickdown to move it away from the transmission to give the wire more clearance from the shifter arm. Here are a few pictures.

IMAG0695.jpg

IMAG0696.jpg

IMAG0697.jpg

OP
OP
S

Stingray240cs

Loc.
Corinth, Texas
Just for the record, nothing has been adjusted yet and that is why there is no slack in the kickdown cable in the last picture. I'll finish the install tonight and post a picture. For those interested, this is the BC Broncos throttle cable and the Gearhead Kickdown cable.

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
Watch for that carb bracket to swivel on the carb stud. That is why LOKAR added the adjuster screw to their bracket.

Just for the record, nothing has been adjusted yet and that is why there is no slack in the kickdown cable in the last picture. I'll finish the install tonight and post a picture. For those interested, this is the BC Broncos throttle cable and the Gearhead Kickdown cable.

OP
OP
S

Stingray240cs

Loc.
Corinth, Texas
yeah...

Watch for that carb bracket to swivel on the carb stud. That is why LOKAR added the adjuster screw to their bracket.

I've read about people having that issue and I haven't decided how I'm going to handle that as of yet. I'm thinking I may fab a small bracket that runs across both back carb studs and is deep enough (towards the firewall) to catch the lip of the throttle bracket that is there to stop it from spinning. Hope that makes sense.

I've also read about others not having this issue so I may have to do nothing at all. I think I read that there should only be about 10lbs of pressure so I wouldn't think that would be enough to move it, but you never know.