• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

At pick a part 77 Lincoln rear disks

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Is it worth the time. 45min to closing and I think I have to pull the axles to get all brackets

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Ok so I got em. Super ez. Grabbed the axles and all. Also grabbed a mark 8 electric fan and a auto tilt column. All ford;D It was a good day

forester2504

Loc.
Georgia
Kick ass find man. I have 79 Lincoln discs. Their nice and clean setup. Good job.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Just put everything you took off the junker onto your truck. Anything that's broken, rusted, or worn - replace it with new: pads, hoses, bolts, clips... I'd probably also turn the calipers in as cores on remans, and only use the junk cast brackets (after sandblasting & powdercoating).

I don't have them - these are just pics I've collected over the years.

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Thanks Steve! That answers one of the three questions I have:

Are they axles the same length/spline/bearing size? Or do I need have the caliper brackets pressed onto mine?

Are the Lincoln's 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern? There were a couple more (I think 78 or 79) and I believe one of them still had the front and rear disks. Worth getting?

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Which junk yard did you go to?

Hey J,
Got your pm, but hadn't had a chance to respond. I went to the willmington pick your part. Was gonna go to sun valley, but too much traffic. It worked out in my favor;D I guess LA traffic is good for something! I wasn't looking for chevy disks, so didn't really notice. Willmington is alot smaller than sun valley, but damn there were alot of ford product!!! I might go back in am, if you want I'll try to scope out the Chevys

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Are the Lincoln's 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern? There were a couple more (I think 78 or 79) and I believe one of them still had the front and rear disks. Worth getting?

Lincoln's are not 5x5x5. You will need to get the Lincoln rotors re-drilled to the correct pattern. You will also need to remove the bearings from the Lincoln axles to get the caliper brackets off.

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Lincoln's are not 5x5x5. You will need to get the Lincoln rotors re-drilled to the correct pattern. You will also need to remove the bearings from the Lincoln axles to get the caliper brackets off.

Thanks, thats what I thought, but when read Steve's post, I started fantasizing about bolts-ins:eek:

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru

Will I need to fab spacers like the explorer rears, or will these bolt on besides the disk re-drill

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Will I need to fab spacers like the explorer rears, or will these bolt on besides the disk re-drill

Because of the difference in thickness of the backing plates, there should be an extra spacer added when installing these on your Bronco.

Keep in mind that because you need to remove the bearings from the axles to get the caliper brackets off, you will also need to remove the bearings from your Bronco axles in order to get the caliper brackets on.

There is a solution to this if you are willing to notch the caliper brackets so they slide over the axles inbetween the bearing and flange.

Finally, the lincoln rotors will not slip over the flanges on stock EB axles. You will need to turn the axle flanges down so they fit inside the rotors. You can have a machine shop do this, or install your axles, jack up the rear of your bronco, start it, put it in first gear so the rear axles turn, set an angle grinder on a jack stand behind the axle flange and grind as the axle turns. I used this method, and while it took a few hours, it did work and cost me next to nothing.

AZ69EB

I would like to see that meathod used!

Take some pictures if you try to grind down the axles that way.

Very creative.