• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

auto tranny column

Josh

Loc.
Pittsburgh, PA
pulled out of my driveway this morning went to shift it from reverse to drive and i got nothing ?:? the shift selector just moved back and forth without shifting. so i opened the hood and pushed down on the shift rods to put it in drive and off i went. i will get dive into this tomorrow but does anyone have any insights or suggestions on what it might be. or anything to watch out for when dismantling everything? thanks

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Broke the shift tube?? <br><br>I have no ideas on that one. So when you shift the column, the little arm at the bottom of the column isnt moving or is?

OP
OP
J

Josh

Loc.
Pittsburgh, PA
the little arm at the bottom is not moving. (that is the arm i pushed down with my hand to get it in drive) i can move the column shifter with no resistance.

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
The shift tube has a metal tab spot-welded onto it that is engaged by the shifter handle. It is fairly common for that spot-welded piece to break off, and then you have nada. Also, the shift collar can crack where it slides onto the shift tube, causing the same situation (happened to me). Might as well replace the upper column bearing while you're there.

justinsane

Loc.
Casper, Wyoming
Definately sounds like the shift tube, I've broken several. Might want to beef up that spot weld on the tab, that's where mine always broke.<br><br>Brian

OP
OP
J

Josh

Loc.
Pittsburgh, PA
the shift collar broke in half and the tab broke off :( .<br>o well, guess it will be a couple days before she is on the road again.

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
you can still buy those collars at NAPA or other stores . They are found on the Help! section