• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Auto trans shifters?

barrelroll

Loc.
Marquette, MI
I've wheel a rig wtth a stick for a good 3 years and my bronco has a c4 in it. Today is the first day I wheeled it and i'm not a fan of the coulm shifter. It was a major pain, i'm pused to putting a trans into gear with a stick on the floor and knowning what gear it's int. My little marker that tells me what gear i'm in is gone, the trans isn't shifting quite right (needs adjustment). Anyone convert to a floor style shifter/ easier shifting shifter. I've driven ratchet shifter rigs and i hate the ratchet shifter. I'm thinking a B&M pro sitck on a raised mount so my dog can still ride inbetween the seats where she likes to ride and it will still be comfortable to shift while trying to turn the bus steering wheel.

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I've wheel a rig wtth a stick for a good 3 years and my bronco has a c4 in it. Today is the first day I wheeled it and i'm not a fan of the coulm shifter. It was a major pain, i'm pused to putting a trans into gear with a stick on the floor and knowning what gear it's int. My little marker that tells me what gear i'm in is gone, the trans isn't shifting quite right (needs adjustment). Anyone convert to a floor style shifter/ easier shifting shifter. I've driven ratchet shifter rigs and i hate the ratchet shifter. I'm thinking a B&M pro sitck on a raised mount so my dog can still ride inbetween the seats where she likes to ride and it will still be comfortable to shift while trying to turn the bus steering wheel.

Been there done that. B&M shifters are ok but the cables typically suck. Art Carr/Winters performance shifters RULE. Ive been running mine 2 years now and will NEVER put another BM in the bronco, or any other vehicle..

WINTERS

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
When I had my C4 I had the Cheetah from Turbo Action. I LOVED it. Its a lot like the art carr/winters but less clunky, really smooth and easy. I have the Winters/Carr for the 4L60 and I really dont care for it but its better than the B+M and better than the Lokar that I broke. I'd rate them in this order Turbo Action, Winters, Lokar, and way behind B+M

ROKDWLR

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stockton, Ca.
My rig was wrecked in December when it dropped into reverse while warming up in my garage. It took off and hit my neighbor's tree. I wanted to go with Lokar's new cable shifter for the C4 but they kept delaying the release, so I bought the Art Carr. The problem is trying to mount it with a Tuffy console. Still haven't figured that one out yet. Probably between the console and the drivers seat tied into the cage seat mounts.

craigs67

Loc.
Juneau Alaska
Shifters

Here is what I going to run. It is from precision performance products. I have not hooked it up yet but it seems to feel nice.

Craig

Attachments

• brakes 005.jpg
    brakes 005.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 87

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I've got a Lokar. It use a rod to move gear selector (no cable). I has positive stops and works great. Not the easiest install but worth it for the look of a 4-speed.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Been there done that. B&M shifters are ok but the cables typically suck. Art Carr/Winters performance shifters RULE. Ive been running mine 2 years now and will NEVER put another BM in the bronco, or any other vehicle..

WINTERS

Agreed. The cable with the B&M shifters suck, and will most likely leave you stranded, or at the very least stuck in one gear without crawling underneath to shift it. Trust me, I know. :mad:

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
Agreed. The cable with the B&M shifters suck, and will most likely leave you stranded, or at the very least stuck in one gear without crawling underneath to shift it. Trust me, I know. :mad:

,,,,,yall are putting all the B&M shifters in one catergory when they sell many price point levels ....the good cables B&M make only come with either the pro rachet, pro stick or pro bandit so unless someones had those models they aren't really in a position to a rate B&M 's shifter cable quality ,,,,all the other shifters they sell come with their regular cheap cables ,but I will say routing makes all the difference in the world also,,,,,on the comment about rachet shifters this is true unless it is a true pure rachet mechanism (i.e. always returns to center) & the only one that does this is the pro rachet,,,,so if someones coming to the conclusion about rachet shifters driving a vehicle with say a mega shifter or the quicksilver models you are right those do suck ,,,,,

Attachments

• P5071359-2-00.JPG
    P5071359-2-00.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 69
  • P5071358-4.JPG
    P5071358-4.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 49

stever

Loc.
Conifer, CO
My rig was wrecked in December when it dropped into reverse while warming up in my garage. It took off and hit my neighbor's tree. I wanted to go with Lokar's new cable shifter for the C4 but they kept delaying the release, so I bought the Art Carr. The problem is trying to mount it with a Tuffy console. Still haven't figured that one out yet. Probably between the console and the drivers seat tied into the cage seat mounts.

Glad you only hit a tree, could have been a lot worse (car, house, person).

Personally I've got an old-mechanism B&M megashifter (came with the truck). Busted a cable (unknown age) the first week I got it. Easy replacement. I'm not that fond of the shifter but I don't like the look of the ones that go in drag cars either. I'm looking for something new too. My megashifter has been modified so it rachets to reverse and only goes in rachet mode at user request (push T down). Two things that really suck about the new ones, can't-rachet-to-reverse (not sure how to "fix" this) is kind of a deal breaker off road and they auto-latch into rachet mode (easy to modify).

any pics of a floor or dash mount shifter with more of a chrome and black look and lesss of a 9-second-quarter-mile look appreciated. I think a gate shifter would be the best option. The only way I would like a rachet shifter is if I had a PRN123 gear pattern.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
the good cables B&M make only come with either the pro rachet, pro stick or pro bandit so unless someones had those models they aren't really in a position to a rate B&M 's shifter cable quality ,,,,all the other shifters they sell come with their regular cheap cables...

Since a replacement cable for the shifter I had was over $50 I'm not inclined to agree that it's cheap. It was, however, a POS. :p

OP
OP
B

barrelroll

Loc.
Marquette, MI
I've driven a couple ratchet shifter rigs and won't have one, bigest pain in the rear. I used to have a b&m pro stick I was going to put in a rig but sold it, it felt nice sitting on my kitchen table and I'm pretty sure the gates could have been ground to allow easy 1st to reverse action.

If i've got the cash i'll pick up a spare cabe for what ever shifter I buy...