• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Auxillary Gas tank selector switch ?

77Mule

Loc.
St. Louis, MO
My 77 Bronco has the dual tank option. However I can't seem to figure out in which position the selector switch below the drivers seat needs to be in to get the fuel from each respective tank to the fuel pump.

When looking at the selector handle which tank is tward the door and which is tward the transmission tunnel? adn do you use the small pointed end or the handle end as the appropriate position?

I can't seem to get gas to the carb since I rebuilt the carb today.

The gage selector is no problem as is tis stamped on the dash.

moneypit77

Loc.
forks, WA
little point twards tunnel, long handle towards door is main tank. little point twards door long handle towards tunnel is aux tank. that is how it is on my 77, there is also a plate that is bolted behind the selector handle that is labeled. hope this helps. casey

Last edited:

2BroncFamily

Loc.
Hood River, OR
That's right. But in my experience, you fill up both tanks, neither gauge works, so you run it till its first sputter, then switch it. Fortunately my '76 only has one tank, and the gauge works. Only bronco I've had that the gauge worked.

moneypit77

Loc.
forks, WA
sometimes my guage dosent work and I have to flip the guage selector switch back and fourth a few times and it will come back, switch must need to be cleaned or replaced. casey

BYUBRONC

Loc.
Bermuda Dunes, CA
If you go to Kragen, spend $35 buy a electric valve. Then look on Deep south broncos for the wiring diagram. You can switch the fuel guage and the tanks from the switch on the dash. I would check my grounds and connections on the back of the switch for the intermitt fuel guage.

pondscum

gas tank selector switch

I noticed you said you could not get gas to the carb after you rebuilt it. If the Bronco ran before let's start here. Remove the fuel line from the carb and place it securely in a container which will safely hold gas. Next turn on your electric pump or turn the engine over to pump the mechanical one making sure the container for the gas and the fuel line are safe from moving engine parts. If you have gas coming out of the fuel line check the float level setting. If no gas from the fuel line did you install an inline filter? and if so is it installed with the fuel direction arrow pointing towards the carb? If you still have no fuel begin to check the lines from the fuel pump to the carb and the lines from the tank switch to the fuel pump and work your way to the tank. I have found I overlook the simple things which is why I have suggested starting on simple things. If you haven't found the answer send me an email and I can call you and maybe together we can find the problem.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
If you go to Kragen, spend $35 buy a electric valve. Then look on Deep south broncos for the wiring diagram. You can switch the fuel guage and the tanks from the switch on the dash. I would check my grounds and connections on the back of the switch for the intermitt fuel guage.

How about a real web site location for this re-wire diagram? I had no luck finding it. Thanks.