• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AX15 and Hedman long tubes

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
So I did a cursory search and didn't find any direct answer to my question. Does anyone have experience with running Hedman long tube headers #89410 with an AX15 and stock Dana 20? I bought a set of the Jet-Hot coated headers several months ago from a member on here (he bought them with the mass buy on here around 2004 I think) intending to use them with an AX15 swap but looking at some threads on here, it appears that the AX15 and long tubes in general don't get along, so I'm looking for some help. I haven't bought the trans setup yet so if another overdrive manual transmission works better with these headers, I'm all ears. Otherwise, as bad as I hate to (as nice as these headers are *brand new unused*) I may have to sell or trade them for some headers that will work for me.

acropilot

I'm running some long tube headers with an ax15 in my 69.I bought the truck 15 yrs ago that had a three speed manual trans with those headers and not sure what brand they are.I redid my bronco a couple of years ago and bought the ax15 kit for it.

OP
OP
dmoses42

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
I'm running some long tube headers with an ax15 in my 69.I bought the truck 15 yrs ago that had a three speed manual trans with those headers and not sure what brand they are.I redid my bronco a couple of years ago and bought the ax15 kit for it.
Was there any interference with the transmission crossmember? From what I have read, that seems to be where the issue is.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure about the hedman. The shorties definitely work but even they have to be massaged around the crossmember.

Attachments

• crossover.jpg
    crossover.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
dmoses42

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Not sure about the hedman. The shorties definitely work but even they have to be massaged around the crossmember.
That 2 into 1 is super tight by the frame. I'm planning on duals, so mine shouldn't be that tight as long as the collectors and adapters don't get in the way of the crossmember. That is my concern.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not much room for anything on the other side except dropping down lower

Attachments

• crossover 2.jpg
    crossover 2.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 12

acropilot

Was there any interference with the transmission crossmember? From what I have read, that seems to be where the issue is.
Yes I had to modify my exhaust tubing for the new crossmember. Not that big of a deal but I’ve been tig welding for 35 years.I’m running 2.25 tubing into flowmaster 40 series and it sounds great