• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

B & M short throw shifter NV3550

tampabronco

questions about the B & M shifter for the NV 3550 trans. How much bending or modifications is needed to get the shifter away from the dash?

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Well off hand I don't remember exactly how much i bent mine but get and idea of how much further back you want the shifter then make a template of put some marks on a piece of paper for reference and bend it to that point.
I called B&M and talked to a tech he said i didn't need to heat the shifter rod just put it in a secure/stable vice or something to hold it and bend it to where i wanted . Obviously i used the existing bend location and increased the amount of bend. I padded the vice and a piece of pipe that i slid over the shift rod to keep from marking up the rod.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You're going to love the B&M shifter.
Mine needed to be bent back quite a bit to get it into a comfortable position.
I was concerned that the normal heat/bend process would damage the nylon ball. So, I cut a groove about 2/3 through the back of the shaft with a disc grinder right below the boot level, Sat in the seat, and pulled the lever back to where I could comfortably reach third gear without leaning forward. Then I disassembled the lever from the nylon pivot ball and welded the gap shut. After a bit of grinding and polishing, you can't see the scar. The lever is made of stainless, so I had to TIG weld it. I guess if you had stainless welding rod or wire that would work too.