• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bad vibration

docb

I am looking at a bronco that has some vibration in the hi gears out of 1st and then is gone after that....is this more than likely a clutch issue?

OP
OP
D

docb

also having some issues with the linkage and the 3 on the tree....what is the best floor shifter to move to?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
check the u-joints in the driveshaft about the vibration. I like the duffy floor shifters. They seem to work the best.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I am confused as when this vibration happens??
Is it in first, or one of the other gears??

If it only in one or two gears, I would think it is a transmision problem. Though maybee it is a speed related problem, tires out of ballance, bad U Joints in the driveshaft.

Tell us about the truck you are looking at, and where you are from. Who know maybee someone here, might know of a better truck close to you.

Maybee you might want to pass on that truck, and find a better one.

OP
OP
D

docb

The vibration happens in 2hi and 4hi but not in 4lo and it is only out of first gear and then smooth through 2 and 3.

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Driveline & Lokar Shifter

Check your driveline. I have a similar vibration, my local axle/driveshaft shop recomended new u-joints and rbuild of the slip-shaft. Or just break down and buy a new d-shaft and have a spare. They also suggested removing the front d-shaft to ensure the vibration is not coming from the front end.

I run the Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, its cable operated, no complaints but has a large base. However, Bronco Driver recently did a install of a mechanical Lokar C4 shifter that comes in polished aluminum and different neck lengths. I'd go w/ Lokar if doing it again.

A4x4Junky

Loc.
South Jersey
Another thought is when the vibration happens, push in the clutch. See if it is happening under load or only at certain speeds. Try shifting into 2nd early (at the approximate speed you would normally feel the vibration) and try accelerating to see if it happens then. This may help to rule in or out transmission specific problem.

As mentioned, u-joints in the driveshaft can cause that sort of problem as well.

Anthony