• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Band adjustment tool???

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
What are folks using other than the tool they have listed in Ford Shop Manual for adjusting the bands on the C4?

I would like to remove the nuts and put new o-rings on there. What do these things look like? Can I maybe take the old one and find a matching o-ring at the hardware store? Someone know where I can find new nuts with the o-rings. I tried a local trans place today and they gave me the it's too old deal. Lazy lazy lazy.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
You should ask that shop if they can service your trans. If so then does that include a band adjustment? Prolly not. When I service the C-4 it automatically gets band adjustments and 2 new nuts. There is no o-ring here, the nuts have a built-in sillicone seal. A properly equipped transmission shop should have these nuts in stock. The place you dealt with, I wouldn't let them work on my wheelbarrow. Keep checking around until you find a shop that has them. Let me know if you still have no luck and i'll send you some.

You dont need a special tool to adjust the bands just a 5/16" open-end wrench and a 3/4" Box-end wrench. Remove the old band nuts and turn both band studs (front an rear) in all the way wrist tight (about as tight as you would get something with a screwdriver) then back off the front adjustment exactly 1 and 1/2 turns, then cinch down the jamb-nut. The rear band back-off 3 turns and cinch it down. These adjustments work better than what the factory manual specifies.

Hint: don't let the stud screw out while removing the old nut that is being replaced.

~BH