• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

battery keeps draining

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i have a battery problem the battery goes down after several days when i put the cables back on i see a small spark what are some common things to look for i had the battery checked and a put a new voltage regulator on thanks ahead of time this site's archives helped get all my lights working properly

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You probably have a bad diode in the alternater. I'd run it to the parts store and get it checked out. The only other thing you can do is put a test light between the negative cable and negative post if it lights up you have a battery drain just start pulling fuses until the light goes out that will tel yu which circuit has the drain keep in mind most stereos and EFI systems will have backup power when the the key is off to keep there memory.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D You have a short somewere you can pull one fuse at a time to find the general area and then look there its a pain but works good luck. %) %) %) Bill :cool: %) :p

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
wlll pulled all the fuses one at a time and still had the short could the bad diode cause this surely it is not a bed cell in the battery?

billy

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Could be the alternator, easiest way to find out is to isolate the alternator. This can be done by disconnecting the main battery off the rear of the alternator. Then check for your draw. If it goes away, then it is a diode. If not keep looking.
Another check on the alternator would be to remove the rest of the wiring from the rear. if this fixes the problem, then the regulator is stuck on, or is being told to be stuck on. Doubt this though as your battery would be flat in 5-6 hours, not days.

commonlaw

Loc.
Seattle
had what I thought were battery problems for the longest time. All I really needed was a new solenoid. 20 bucks later and I havent had a problem for months. Just a though, gl.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Also try unplugging the light switch. The lighting, charging, & starting systems are not routed thru the fuse box so pulling fuses won't help you find shorts there.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
just put a new light switch in but i did find a loose wire with a female connector coming off of the alternator (or at least it looked like it had to chase another project) that is not connected to anything hey raaaaaay i like the idea of your one wire and do away with all that other stuff i will call you monday still have a short somewhere i unhooked what i think is the battery wire on the alt and the new voltage regulator hmmmmmmm what is odd is that this seems to be intermitent not constant all i like being road ready is the horn and finding this short i need an inspection sticker my son can hardly wait

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
went out to take a quick look at the wiring this morning and noticed a fusible link wired into the battery side of the solenoid unplugged it and found the problem it is a PO wired gas tank switch the front tank has a leak so i do not need the switch at this point the PO used an orange extension cord to wire in the new switch still gonna talk with RAAAAAY on that one wire now to get the horn working and we will be on the road i will post pics of my grabber blue baby soon

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
Geeze, you will never guess what I just put up on Ebay 20 minutes ago. Might work out to be an awesome deal for you, if it has enough amperage. (You will end up helping to pay for the diamond I bought for my duaghters graduation, while I was on there, LOL.) I also have a pretty awesome deal for Chevy guys up there right now.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
RAAAAY it has enough amperage i will watch the bidding i run a one wire on my 48 f150 bigblock ford thanks for the help i am chasing a horn problem now it worked before the turn signal switch replacement looks like the steering wheel is not seating properly and the contact is not touching the ring on the back of the horn

pooterpot

Loc.
Lumberton, Texas
my battery still drains in 5-6 hours. but im finally taking it to a professional tommorow to get it fixed i tried everything mentioned and nothing worked si i gave up about a month and a half ago again

RRRAAAYYY2

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Brantford, Ontario
To bad we couldn't figure it out. Electrical problems can be nightmares for the best of mechanics with the vehicle right there, trying to solve them over the net is even worse. Let us know what it turned out to be.