• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

battery / starting issues

rbrnc512

I have an optima red top battery and haven't had a problem with it before, but the other day it wouldn't start. I put a trickle charger on it overnight and tried to start it the next day when it said the battery was fully charged. But it is still acting like it's dead (just one click when I turn the key and nothing). The volt gauge says about 10 when the key is turned to ACC. I know I need to check the battery and will as soon as I get a chance, but any other ideas of why it wouldn't start even right after charging?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Other than cleaning all the connections especailly the ground. You may just have a bad battery it happens.

Optima Bill

Hi rbrnc512,
broncnaz is correct, first check the obvious and be sure connections are tight and clean. Then be sure the battery is fully charged with a volt meter, not so much the dash gauge. Fully charged a RedTop should measure 12.6-12.8 or somewhere there close. An older battery may not be quite that much but that is a good range. It is best to unhook the battery from the system for 24 hours and read the voltage again to see if it is holding its charge. If it maintains the full charge and you still have just a click, then you probably have another issue. I am subscribed to the thread to see if you need further battery help.
Thanks,
Bill Howell
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

mustangmarty

Bronco Guru
Make sure you have a good clean dedicated ground cable from the battery to the block. Mine did the same think even when fully charged and cables were all clean and tight. But i didn't have a dedicated ground cable from the battery to the block. Once i put that in there, it's been starting up every time better than it ever has before.