• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Battery to engine ground

Dannyboy71

Is there any one spot on the engine block that is best to connect the ground from the battery? I was thinking either engine mount bolt or stater bolt? Does it matter

Toddpole

Contributor
There is a threaded boss at the front passenger corner of the block for that purpose. Look down about the level of the fuel pump but on the passenger side.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Weld a grounding tab on top of frame for big grounds like batt to frame, eng to frame, winch to frame...angle iron with a whole in it!

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
You didn't say which engine you're talking about. %)

But if you mean a smallblock V8, there are actually 2 ground bosses on the block:

Always clean EVERY electrical connection surface, and apply a thin film of electrical grease to keep it clean longer.

. .

It's not necessary to weld anything to the frame to ground it properly - there are already some single-walled gussets behind the engine crossmember if that's how you want to attach your ground cable. But on Frank's '75, I just used a later green self-threading ground stud in the outer surface of the frame rail near the front of the passenger wheelwell so it's easy to access/check/clean, and close to the front if a winch was ever added. Some eB frames already have holes there.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
.. I had all sorts of ground issues on my 1980 Bronco .. So I put about 4 different ground cables on my Bronco ..
.. They all helped a slight bit.
... So I have one from the Alt. down to the grinded frame. & One from the Starter Mounting bolt to the frame .
... & Another from the Hood to the fenders . & then the original one. & I used a grinder on it.
.... Don't forget to clean any of your Head light grounds of parking light grounds ..

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
You could eliminate all "grounding" problems by NOT using the frame or body for electrical power. Run real Copper wire (in the appropriate size) continuously from the battery (-) to each electrical load on the truck. You should still ground the body & frame, but don't RELY on them. Just like if you had a fiberglass body.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
You could eliminate all "grounding" problems by NOT using the frame or body for electrical power. Run real Copper wire (in the appropriate size) continuously from the battery (-) to each electrical load on the truck. You should still ground the body & frame, but don't RELY on them. Just like if you had a fiberglass body.

Use something like this:

http://www.americanautowire.com/shop/grounding-kit-full-vehicle

Or make your own, it wouldn't be too hard to copy the idea.