• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Battery Tray, Brackets, Body Mount & Core Support Repair

DrLathrop

Loc.
Fulshear, TX
My battery tray, brackets, body mount, core support & wheel well all had some cancer going on so I finally got around to fixing it over the last few weekends.

I rented a plasma cutter from Sunbelt Rentals at Lowes. Awesome tool for a $50 rental. Cut out the cancer. Used cardboard to make repair panel templates & cut out the new metal with the plasma before returning it. I got the sheet metal from Tractor Supply for repair pieces to the wheel well, core support & for a new battery tray. I ordered the body mount/core support bracket & inner and outer battery tray/core support/wheel well brackets from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. They arrived quickly & just as described on their website.

Sheet metal screws holds everything together for now until I can swing the purchase of a welder & have some time to practice to prevent making a total mess of the area & all the time making the repair panels. I have never done body work so be gentle.

The new & el cheapo battery tray was made from some sheet metal, brackets from walmart & some machine screws with nuts & lock washers. I covered the battery tray with some left over spray on bedliner that I had in the paint basket in the garage cabinet.

I will disassemble the area to primer/paint while masking off the areas that will be welded then paint over those prior to completing the repair. All together it cost me about $115 in materials & a few weekends to get it done at a lazy pace.

Hopefully anyone else having to do this similar repair can get ideas & a good visual from this post.

Attachments

• photo (11).JPG
    photo (11).JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 117
  • photo (10).JPG
    photo (10).JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 105
  • photo (12).JPG
    photo (12).JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 105
  • photo (18).JPG
    photo (18).JPG