• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BC's 3 core triple pass radiator and trans cooler

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Just ordered the new rad and shroud, this one doesn't have the trans cooler / warmer in it - will I be OK in the winter (Canadian winters) without the coolant heating the trans fluid? I will run an external cooler and synthetic fluid in my rebuilt C4.

TIA

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I am no tranny expert, but, I would be concerned.
Make sure you have a tranny temp sender and watch it.
I'm not sure what the ideal minimum operating temperature would be.

Last edited:

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
Possibly - here in CO I have had issues in winter where my tranny never got above 90F without running the fluid through the rad to warm it up. Like with engine oil you want to get it warm enough to evaporate the water and other such contaminates out so as not to varnish up the clutches. You can get water to oil cooler/warmers that you can add in to the system. The only issue is they are easiest to add into the lower radiator hose.