• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bedliners. Do-it-Yourself Questions

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
1. Where to buy Herculiner for best price? How much?

2. Bed prep work? Wire brush only? What chemicals to use to wipe down for prep? Where do you get this chemical?

3. Herculiner is best with 2 coats?

4. I want to cover from tailgate to floor pans, how much is req'd for 2 coats?

Thanks!

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
1. K-mart, think I paid $70 for a gallon in the kit with a roller.

2. Wire wheel on my drill. MEK if you can get it.

3. Yes 2 coats one in one direction, one in the other.

4. 1 Gallon covered firewall to tailgate, side to side (up to the line where the hard top sits). two coats.

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
Methyl-Ethyl Keytone. It's like a paint thinner that doesn't leave a film when used. To tell you the truth I don't remember where I picked it up. I had it around the house and used it.

bigbronc23

Loc.
Eau Claire, WI
Is herculiner the best thing to use for the bedliner??? I've had a couple of guys tell me to use por-15??? Is either one better than the other and whats the cost comparison???

OP
OP
raleigh_bronco

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
[quote author=bigbronc23 link=board=5;threadid=18181;start=0#msg138958 date=1054662849]
Is herculiner the best thing to use for the bedliner??? I've had a couple of guys tell me to use por-15??? Is either one better than the other and whats the cost comparison???
[/quote]

It is my understanding that POR-15 is solely used to stop rust whereas Herculiner is strictly a bed liner. I have heard where some apply bedliner over por-15, but you must scuff the surface so the bedliner can stick.

What chemicals are used to clean the bed after you sand down the surface???

G

In regards to MEK....

Methyl Ethyl Ketone is a great solvent/cleaner. It is avaliable at any Home Depot, Lowe's, or other hardware store in your area.

I just finished putting Herculiner over POR-15. Everything worked out great. I used POR-15 only in the floor pans and Herculined the whole floor on top.