• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Belt Squeeling, Help!

g-money

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I have a belt squeeling problem I am trying to solve.

This has been a major problem and I am just now getting around to it.

I have a stock 302 with PS and a 3G alt. Now I still get the squeeling when the PS belt is removed. I have replaced teh alt and the problem went away for a about 10 minutes then returned. The noise will go away for a few minutes with belt dressing.

The alt pully gets really hot.

The problem seems to point to the alt but since I replaced it and still have the problem I am wonderign if it could be the water pump. I just wanted to see if this was symptomatic of a failed water pump since it's kinda of a pain to change.

Thanks,
Galen

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
If the water pump is bad then the pulley would most likely be slopped out, as in you could move it in and out by pulling on it. Also your engine would run hot. I think the bearings in the alternator are bad, even though its new. If the alt pulley is getting hot then thats where I would start again. I had a new alt with bad bearings before, it made a horrible squealing, grinding noise.
By the way, if you think changing a waterpump on a bronco or any older car or truck, try changing one on a 1984 nissan 300z. Its a 2-3 day job minimum, you have to remove the whole front face of the motor, now thats a pain in the ass.
But i would attempt pulling on your waterpump pulley and see if its slopped out, then I would try another new alt. good luck.

ponch0v

If you are running the v-belt, thats the problem. The v-belt does not have enough surface area in contact with the pulley. Lottsa grip required to turn the g3 when its "on". Go the multiple belt route or opt for the serpentine setup. I went thru the same thing and the serp belt cured it.

bpatton74

Loc.
Alamogordo, NM
ponch0v said:
If you are running the v-belt, thats the problem. The v-belt does not have enough surface area in contact with the pulley. Lottsa grip required to turn the g3 when its "on". Go the multiple belt route or opt for the serpentine setup. I went thru the same thing and the serp belt cured it.
DITTO;)

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Go to a wrecking yard or alt rebuilder and get a alt pulley at least 1/2" bigger in diameter. That will increase the amount of belt contact with the pulley and reduce belt slippage if that is the problem.

The 3g has enough output at low rpm you should not see much difference in voltage at idle with the alternator running slower. You should still be able to use the same belt.

Check your voltage at idle now and see how much difference there is after changing it to a larger diameter pulley. You may have to go more than a 1/2" larger.

Last edited: