• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best 500-600 cfm carb

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Ok i i figured how much cfm (500-600) everyone on the forums recommended now i need help with what carb (Brand, & Part # is really appriciated) to get for my stock 302 with some bolt on performances. I do plan on doing some off roading with higher slopes, hill climbs. Something that wont stall on me!;D
Thanks All

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I'm a holley mdl 1850 fan. runs great, easy to tune, etc. very happy with 'em.
but asking that question around here is like asking "what's the one true religion"%) ;D

Ohio Bill

Loc.
Riverside, OH
I like my 500cfm 2bbl. Holley model 4412.
some will disagree and say Motorcraft 2100 is the best.
I have been told by a Ford dirt track racer that you can switch the accelerator pump on the 500 from a 50 to a 30 and get the inclination results same as off roading. I haven't tried this yet.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
IMO the biggest problem with that particular 500 cfm 2v is the center hung float. that, and driveability (throttle response, mpg) is actually better with a 600 cfm 4v, due to the smaller primaries on the 4v.
I've run those too, and they're a great carb as well.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'm partial to holleys mostly the 4V versions and like ugly74 the model 1850 although new ones dont have the externally adjustable float feature. But really most any 600cfm holley will work fine. My next pick is also basically a holley carb but its made by barry grant. I'm running a 525CFM Road Demon JR carb on my 73 right now and really like it. I've only had one issue with it when I went to las cruces to go wheeling it decided it didnt want to idle right must of had some dirt in the idle system had to play with it a bit but its been good since then. Done quite a bit of offroading with it and its had no problems.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I like my 500cfm 2bbl. Holley model 4412.
some will disagree and say Motorcraft 2100 is the best.
I have been told by a Ford dirt track racer that you can switch the accelerator pump on the 500 from a 50 to a 30 and get the inclination results same as off roading. I haven't tried this yet.

I wouldnt bother with that. The size of the accelerator pump has nothing to do with the float bowl overfilling and flooding the engine while climbing hills. All that will do is use more gas when you hit the throttle. You only need a bigger accelerator pump if you have the largest squirters and still cant get rid of a bog upon acceleration whick may mean you need a bigger pump.
If you have issues when offroading your 2V holley see my tech article on holley carbs it works for 2V carbs as well as 4V carbs.