• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Bronco Cover WH, LMC, Toms?

NolaBoy

Just had my '76 painted but I dont have a garage for storage. Wanted to buy a cover that will protect the paint and keep it dry. Any suggestions? I am looking at the Wild Horses, LMC 4000, and the Toms custom fit cover. Are the second two worth the higher price? Better paint protection, etc.? Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Jimmy

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
I've got 4 of the WH covers and I love them. I haven't tried the other vendor covers, I cannot compare them. However, the WH covers have held up to 40+ MPH winds, tons of snow, and unusual seasonal downpours without showing any wear or tear yet.

And as FFMDX stated, the price was right.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Lots of good input on that on here if you do a search. Good luck

and lots of opinions :)

OP
OP
N

NolaBoy

I have looked around. It seems they all have pretty good overall reviews. I couldn't find anything that addressed the protection of the paint directly. Since I just paid to get it painted thats one of my concerns. Just trying to make sure I dont mess up the paint trying to protect it. Haha! I will keep looking to see if I can dig any deeper. Thanks again

akafrankcastle

Loc.
Kansas City
Are you just looking to keep it off the road until spring or is it still in the build process?

Honestly, I don't know if a fabric cover will be able to provide the paint protection capability you are looking for alone. You might need to store it in say a storage unit with the cover on if you want full protection. The problem is that wind will cause the fabric cover to wear in certain areas of the body. Some of the manufacturers might have done something to combat that. But like I said, paint is the least of my concerns when it comes to my Broncos.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Be very, VERY careful what you wish for. And be VERY careful using a car cover....especially with new paint. There is nothing worse than a car cover over a nice paint job in a damp/wet environment.

Do some quick research on the internet, google "car cover damage" and starting reading. Then talk to your painter and body shop.

Car covers should only be used to keep dust off of your classic while it sits in a protected area.

Without going into great detail, bascially putting a car cover on your new paint job has the same effect of trowing a wet towel on it and letting it sit there. The damage that can and does happen in a fairly short period of time is incredible....it bubbles the paint and ruins in!

69_Sport

I have several car covers from California Car Covers. They're not cheap, though. But they offer several types of cover material. Some are intended for indoor storage only. Some are for outdoor storage. I have had good luck with them and have not seen any paint damage.
What you don't want to do is put a cover that won't breathe on a car that will get wet. The non-breathable material will trap moisture under the cover and ruin a paint job. There are breathable fabrics that have microscopic holes to let water vapor out while at the same time keeping liquid water from getting through.

You may want to discuss using a cover with your painter. Mine told me not to cover the car before at least 6 months have passed since painting it to give the paint time to cure.

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
One the worst things that can happen to a cover is the wind blowing it around if it's outside. This is especially true of those $79 "one size fits many" kind, but even a proper fitted one can get blown around just enough to rub up against the paint.

If you have to use a cover outside in an area that tends to get pretty windy, try to park in a wind-protected area like next to a wall or building.

DuctTape

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Really happy with the wh cover. Stands up surprisingly well to snow, rain, ice, etc. I had the bronco outside and covered for a full winter and didn't notice appreciable deterioration. Haven't tried the others.