• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Carbs for Incline & Off Camber Wheeling?

Idaho Slim

Loc.
Archer, Idaho
Hello, new member. I have been looking for a good bronco forum for about the last 4 years! This looks to be the one!

I have a 76 Bronco Explorer w/ a 351w with a Carter AFB 625, that is built for extreme off road use, & Jeep Jamboree's ( ya, the Jeeps hate it! ) I have a problem when climbing extreme inclines of stalling out, loading up and dying out. NOT GOOD! I am going to purchase a new carb for my upcoming motor rebuild and have been hearing good things about the new "Holley series Truck Avenger Carbs" Anyone used these carbs in steep incline/decline situations? I am still leaning towards the New Rochester Q-Jets which I have also heard have no flooding problems for inclines. I have also heard about b.c broncos q-jet, but have no contact info, Your expereinces would be appreciated of all the examples.

?:?

77TexasBronc

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Baytown Texas
I dont have one YET but a lot of the guys on here love the modified Q-jet BC bronco sells. Chuck modifies these just for off road use. Welcome aboard and good luck

;)

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
Welcome aboard. Are you around walla walla? That is nice country.

The Holley's with side hung bowls have a bad rep for stalling & loading up while wheeling on inclines (I have one). The center hung float Holleys are better, and the Carters bowl design should be better also. I have a Carter on my BB and it isn't tolerant of real steep inclines, but seems slightly better than the Holley.
The Truck Avenger is supposed to have the factory tweaks to improve performance- I would do a search of this site/forum for first hand info on this.
The Q jet has an even better design to control fuel while at steep angles, and its reputation as poor man's fuel injection is well deserved. BC Broncos sells a reasonable Q-jet that has a great reputation- and Chuck backs up what he sells for even more peace of mind. I plan to get one, but don't have first hand info besides what I have heard from this site (again try a search). BC's contact info is at the top of the page.

OP
OP
Idaho Slim

Idaho Slim

Loc.
Archer, Idaho
oops! BC's contact info is at the top of the page. :-[
thanks, so much to learn on a new site. :eek: Thanks gobs, that looks like the ticket, I believe i wheeled with a guy in the Naches area of washington that had one, he dinked around on the "Funny Rocks" area and never missed a beat. Thanks again fellers. 4byFo., purty close, tri-cities area. I wheel mostly to the west tho in the above mentioned Naches area.

74bronc

Bronco Guru
I have heard nothing but good about the truck avenger. there is some info online about it from people who have tried them in Moab and other areas. Seems like the Quad or Truck Avenger would be the way to go.

thumper

Loc.
Bountiful, Utah
I wheeled with Chuck from BC Broncos at Moab, Utah. We were at the 2002 Bronco Safari. He did the Behind the Rocks trail, which has one of the steepest obstacles in Moab (White Knuckle Hill) and never, NEVER stumbled once. Even when he went balls to the walls to keep from going endo. GO WITH CHUCKS QJETS!!

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
I have the 2bbl Holley with a pressure regulator and it works fantastic. Uphill, downhill, side hill no problems. I just turn the pressure down to a couple of pounds and off I go.

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
What kind of pressure regulator do you use?
The 2V Motorcraft is an often overlooked carb- I never had any problems with inclines or angles when I had the 2 barrel...

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Quadrajet for me I have been running one for 2 years now and wont change. It is extremely hesitant to vapor lock which Holleys are not and in a hot running Bronco that factor alone is sufficient reason to run a quadrajet. I cant comment on the avenger as i dont have one but as with any Holly product plan on spending time and cash in dialing it in for your truck. Most non stock carb problems are from poor installation. there is no carb that will run right out of the box you have to dial them in. either you do or the supplier does or you accept the crappy way a box stock carb runs. A Bronco pushes the limits on any carb.

rflud

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Modesto, CA
I just run a fuel pressure regulator from Napa. Without the regulator the carb would flood out with the slightest incline, decline or side hill.

My EB runs really hot too and no vapor lock. I'd say save some money and get the 2bbl motorcraft/holley with a pressure regulator and you'll be happy with it.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
I run the Holley 2300 2V with a regulator myself. The regulator came from NAPA and goes from 1/2 pound to 10 pounds in 1/2 pound increments. It does well for the wheeling I do Tellico and so forth. If I were going to compete, injection would be my only choice.
I have seen the Qjet installed backwards with great results. A guy named Russell was running this set up at the last Free 4 All and I would have sworn he was running injection. I've never seen a carb on those angles run as well as his.

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
thumping said:

I have seen the Qjet installed backwards with great results. A guy named Russell was running this set up at the last Free 4 All and I would have sworn he was running injection. I've never seen a carb on those angles run as well as his.

Would that have been Russel Crew? He's quite a character. Drove his bronco from South Carolina to Pa for the Roundup, performed in the rock challenge, drove all the toughest trails then drove it back to south carolina, without a top, and in the rain.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
4byford said:
Welcome aboard. Are you around walla walla? That is nice country.

:eek: someone from Cali knows about Wally World! (That is where I am from too);D

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
rflud said:

get the 2bbl motorcraft/holley with a pressure regulator and you'll be happy with it.

that is what i have and I went wheelin up over 6500 feet and no problems8)

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
77Wag,
I am not from Cali but stationed here; originally from the great NW. Used to drive through Walla Walla on the way to Moscow, and spent some time in the Joseph OR area. Nice country.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Almost any Carb will run the off camber and inclines if set up properly I've run a holley for years with no problems and it's been setup similar to the truck avenger for almost as long as I've had it on the truck. But i would stay away from holley's with center hung floats ie. most double pumpers they tend to have more problems with the incline/decline's great for off camber though. The carter/edlebrock carbs seem to have more than there share of problems as you already know but when set up properly they are as good as the rest. as for the Qjet lots of people like them and they run good as is but I wouldn't pay the $300+ for something I can get at the junkyard for $20
Like I said before it's all in the setup my opinion is that you cant beat the holleys externally adjustable floats if you have a problem it can be fixed in 30 sec try that with the other carbs