• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best coils

tweingad

is there a big difference in ride quality between Toms, BC WH, Grave. I would like some opinion on highway driving and Light off roading like snow and hunting trails.

Ty

charvey9

Loc.
Beaverton, OR
I can't say I've tried them all, but I have Tom's long travel 2.5" coils and they were a vast improvement over the stocks on my '72. I'm willing to bet they are all very comparable though, and might even come from the same manufacturer.

In my opinion, coils are just one piece of the puzzle to making your ride smoother. Over the past year I've added the new coils, dual shock kit and new shocks, and replaced all the bushings in the front end. I can't say that any one of those upgrades was more significant than the other, but together they added up to a HUGE difference in ride and handling.

trailbound

YES!!! There is a huge difference in different coils. A progressive rate coil such as a CAGE coil rides alot softer than a single rate WH prerunner coil.. Dever coils run smooth and flex great but I have heard that they are sometimes too soft for some people.. I run CAGE coils and love them.

NoJoe

Loc.
san jacinto,ca.
Hi all, I've been away for awhile but put 2 1/2 deaver coils and 11 leaf deaver rear and I love em, not too rough but not a 50 Buick mushey ride.

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
your choice of shocks is going to make a big difference as well as springs. Just switching from rancho 5000s to 9000s (on softest setting) made a huge difference on mine. Next step for me is moving up to bilsteins.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I bought a set of 3.5 lift coil from a member here ..He had pulled them because they were too stiff .He went with the variable rate and loves them ..I bought his old ones because I was putting in this heavier Diesel motor ..I didn't think they'd be too tuff for my Bronco BUT man their stiff ...Now I need a set of shocks if any of you guys swapping around have a set of 3.5 lift shocks you've pulled off..

OP
OP
T

tweingad

im going to be putting on some bilsteins shocks so i think that will help alot with all these choices but I was thinking of using toms 2-1/2 inch long travel on all four corners and i dont want mushy ride but i want a nice ride. but i also want it functional for light trails and up in the hills snow driving

hdmc

Loc.
goodyear AZ
i just put the W.H 31/2" rock crawler coils and there 11 leaf in the rear no complaints work great on and off road . just order there extended arms and xtreme shock mounts with dual shocks i'l see if there worth the extra cash

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
YES!!! There is a huge difference in different coils. A progressive rate coil such as a CAGE coil rides alot softer than a single rate WH prerunner coil.. Dever coils run smooth and flex great but I have heard that they are sometimes too soft for some people.. I run CAGE coils and love them.
I have single rate coils that ride very nice. Progressive rate coils only mean that the top is very soft but after the top coils touch the rest has to be stiffer than stock coils so for little bumps they are softer but bigger bumps will be harsher. I am not talking about the old after market springs that were made for f-150's that would jar your teeth out. All of the new "made for EBs springs should feel only slightly stiffer that the progressive coils (some feel they are too soft) and maintain their ride height longer. That would be assuming that both were made of the same steel in the same manner.

OP
OP
T

tweingad

Chuck your single rate coil are those for 160 on your website or are they different ones cause i like your stuff the best plus your always on here backing up your ideas and products which i also like

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Chuck your single rate coil are those for 160 on your website or are they different ones cause i like your stuff the best plus your always on here backing up your ideas and products which i also like
Thank you. I am not a "salesman" so have to believe in what I sell. You will notice a lot of things that I don't sell in my site. I keep saying I am going to sell stuff that people want to buy even if I think it is a waste of money but I can't seem to get around to it. Anyway, yes I am talking about my springs but any of the good lenier rate springs will hold up better than a equal quality progressive spring for the reasons above. My coils and leafs are all make here in the U.S.A, (not America which includes Mexico and south) because I can depend on them being the same quality everytime. I have been selling the same coils for 13 years now.