• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BEST fuel pump, spark plugs, and ignition wires?

plothead

i have a crabed 302. needs a tune up.<br><br>what do you folks feel is/are the best:<br>1-fuel pump<br>2-spark plugs<br>3-ignition/spark plug wires<br><br>thanks<br>cd

JTCamp

Loc.
Austin, Texas
"i have a crabed 302. needs a tune up."
First thing I would do would be to get the crabs out of the motor. Probably not going to run well with those in it ;D ;D ;)

JokerOfDeception

Loc.
Whittier friggin cal
mmmm throw a little cup ofhot butter on there, not that i cant believe its not butter crap, im talkin real butt enlarging butter.......... and some of your finest brew, then sttart the tuneup.

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
I buy autolite plugs on sale, gap them carefully, clean them around 12-15000 mi., and change them at around 20,000 or so. My take is I would rather put two sets of .69 cent plugs in over 40-50,000 miles than buy the $3 platinum or high end plugs. Any of the name brand -Champion, Motorcraft, Autolite, AC, etc.- are good replacements. <br> A Resistor core, 8 mm wire set will set you back $15-45 bucks depending on brand. Again, unless you run a competition mud drag Bronco with a high RPM engine, frequent inspections and normal replacement are more important than brand. I have used Taylor universal sets with good success- I like the longer universal sets so I can run them low around the valve cover and not over it. Inspect them for burns, arcs, and breaks often, never pull them off the plug by the wire, and replace at 40-50,000 miles, to be safe.<br>I have had good luck with Carter fuel pumps, but recently have bought pumps with the lifetime warranty from the Chief/Trak/Kragen/Shucks brainless-clerk parts places so I never have to buy one again. I put the old but still working fuel pump in the trail box (along with a couple of the longer plug wires and old spark plugs-you never know when you may need them on the trail or away from home) then if it fails I have one to slap on for the trip to the parts shack for my free replacement fuel pump.<br>Hope this helps- If you are looking for name brands, all of the premium brands are pretty good- but $.<br>

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I run a DUI ignition with the motorsport wires. I also run the carter fuel pumps. I tried some splitfires in the my 72 with an old 351w. It ran much better so now I have them in both broncos.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Carter Rotory Vein Electric Fuel Pump (# P60430)<br><br>Split Fire Plugs (forgot the number)<br><br>Ford Racing 9mm Plug Wires in Blue.<br><br>And while your at it change out your fuel filters. If you have a stock MotorCraft use a WIX Filter (# 33046) on the front of that carb. Go ahead and get youself an extra fuel filter for that Carter Pump too (WIX # 33032) and keep it handy.<br><br>You can get the Plugs and Wires from Summit, but I don't remember who carries the Pump. But check out Summit here at http://store.summitracing.com/<br><br>And Good Luck !