• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best GT40 head specs on 302

Godwick

Loc.
Santa Barbara, CA
So I'm thinking of going ahead and purchasing a pair of gt40 heads. I know that there are other better heads out there, but I'm on a budget and looking for a nice little upgrade for some low end grunt.
I'm a bit rusty on my engine spec knowledge. Here is what I'm looking at. 1.6 Roller rockers, then these on ebay:
Ford F3ZE GT40 heads 1.84 intake valve, 1.54 exhaust, springs are 230 pounds and will take .510 lift.

Any enlightenment would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Godwick

Godwick

Loc.
Santa Barbara, CA
Mmm... Not too much. Couple hundred? Plan on doing a 351 efi down the line, so just going to tweak this one for about 50k or so. Daily driver and all. I'm more interested in what the numbers refer to and what is optimal for a daily driver which will put you in your seat when you step on it.
Just got a weiand 8124 in the mail today.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
really kind of depends on what heads you are replacing but for the most part you wont see any real gains in power in low end with just heads. better flow, bigger valves ect all help but really dont show real gain until your up in the RPM's.
Just keep in mind that some heads are setup for roller cams and you may need to change the valve springs to match whatever cam you are running.
I wouldnt spend more than say $300 on gt40 heads actually I wouldnt even spend that but I would say that $300 would be fair as long as the heads are in good condition and dont need to be rebuilt.

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
Spring pressure is something to be aware of if you have a flat tappet cam- a roller calls for 110-120# seat pressure while a flat tappet cam needs to be in the 80# seat pressure range. Higher than that may accelerate cam wear....:cool:

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
JMO you may not be happy with the bang for the buck. If you want it to put you back in the seat make sure it is geared to do that. 302's are just not torque monsters and can not be made into one for a couple hundred. If you have tires that are taller than original consider gears unless you already have them.