• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best mounting spot for elec fuel pump

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
its a holley blue, can i mount it on the inner fender so it is easy to get to/protect/clean out? or does it have to go under the truck by the fuel valve (dual tanks) ? id like to mount this as soon as i can just trying to get this planned out and get some fittings too

weasel

Loc.
Norfolk
I'm no expert on electric fuel pumps, that's why I have issues with mine; but if the pump is meant for a crab set up you have to mount it close to the tank, From what I've heard.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Best place to mount it is on the frame in between the 2 tanks. Almost all electric pumps are better pushers than pullers. Usually the instructions will also tell you to mount it as cloase to the tank as possible.Might be even better since your running dual tanks. Mounting near the tanks also reduces the amount of heat the pump is exposed to compared to the engine bay. Cooler fuel means more power although I doubt there much gain in a bronco application.
Now there are people that have mounted them in the engine bay and have had no problems so its basically up to you.

quikdrummer

Loc.
Chino Valley, AZ
Best place to mount it is on the frame in between the 2 tanks. Almost all electric pumps are better pushers than pullers.

x2

i had one mounted in the engine compartment and had lots of issues on hills, when it got hot, etc

i have mine on the inside of the frame right in front of the tank

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I have wondered this same thing. My plan was to mount it as close to the selector switch as possible since there is only one inlet and outlet on the pump. If you mount it between the tanks, do you run a supply hose back from the three way switch to the pump or are you guys somehow using a Tee to connect both tanks to the pump?

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
X3 on mounting as near the tanks as possible. I mounted mine half way between the tanks on a removable plate between the frame & body since I have a 2" body lift. Once the pump has obtained liquid from the tank, vapor locking can not easily occur and these pumps are much better at pushing than pulling. Good luck!;)

Attachments

• 3-15-09 006.jpg
    3-15-09 006.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 52
  • 3-15-09 011.jpg
    3-15-09 011.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 55

nrramse

I bought two of them, one for each tank, and mounted them by each tank. If one pump fails I just put gas in the other tank.

Its best to put them on the frame because they make a lot of noise if mounted to sheet metal.

Newell

FFMDX

Loc.
Roseville, CA
My LP Carter is on my frame rail close to my rear (only) tank and my HP Airtex is on my dvr fender under the hood.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I have wondered this same thing. My plan was to mount it as close to the selector switch as possible since there is only one inlet and outlet on the pump. If you mount it between the tanks, do you run a supply hose back from the three way switch to the pump or are you guys somehow using a Tee to connect both tanks to the pump?

You got it. Mines mounted closer to the rear tank almost over the rear axle lots of room right there. inlet hose to the pump connects to the selector valve. Outlet hose to the carb. Been that way on mine for 30 years with no issues.