• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Power Steering Set Up?

COSCAG00

I need some help guys. I have a 69 Bronco that is a friend of a friends sitting at my house. The story goes that the owner of it bought it for his daughter and she has been driving it for a few years now, fast forward to a couple of months ago and his daughter is driving down the road and the pitman arm breaks in half. Luckily the driver and Bronco are fine as they were going very slow. Bronco gets towed to a local shop and come to find out the pitman arm broke because it was welded, shop orders a new pitman arm and it doesn't fit, this happens a few times and the shop throws their hands up.

So that's where I come in and take to project from there. Looking at the power steering box its an odd ball box and we have decided to just revamp the whole power steering system. So long story short whats the best complete (ps box, pump, hoses, etc.) system from one of the suppliers? At this point I feel most comfortable just replacing everything new so we all know that it is a complete working system. I am leaning to one of the kits from Wild Horses but would love input/reviews on any other systems. Since this is not my Bronco I am not interested in piecing the steering together, I want to buy it all new and be done with it.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I think wh has a kit using a 4x4x2 box and a Saginaw pump. Bc might too. That the route I would for strength. Also add the frame support from west coat broncos if she gonna run big tires

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Either of the first two on this page are really good choices http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/bronco_Power_Steering_Kits

Early and later model Bronco's had a different sector shaft coming out of the steering box. This is the reason the local shop this Bronco was taken to couldn't get the right pitman arm.

So moving forward, and taking into account you don't *really* know what you have -because it may have been modified at some point over the last 40 years, its important to get the right parts the first time for a permanate long term solution.

Pictures. Pictures are king. Post some pic's here, and allow other users to identify what you actually have and what you may need moving forward. Pictures of the steering box and pump, pitman arm, and front tie-rod and drag link assembly.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Early and later model Bronco's had a different sector shaft coming out of the steering box. This is the reason the local shop this Bronco was taken to couldn't get the right pitman.

Not true, all EB sector shafts take the same pitman. The difference is at the drag link end, not the sector shaft.

edmedlin

Loc.
Republic Missouri
My little brain stays that way Whoaa :) The folks here keep it somewhat straight. I lurked here for a year or more before I bought mine. Glad I did. Paid a bit more on the front end, but saved a ton on the back end. Faded out scratched up paint is easy when good steel and mechanics are underneath. I am still getting my brain to adjust to the EB from my old CJ5 and Scout roots. The front end geometry is still a bit different for me. I am slowly beginning to get it...... They all react differently... hehe...

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What size tire is this thing running? If 35's or bigger, the 4x4x2 would be a great choice. If something smaller, then it seems like most of the other options could come into play.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Listen to Apogee, if the tires are big, go 4x4x2. Otherwise just buy a stock EB replacement. Who knows, maybe it already had a Yoda or Nissan or F100 box in it...