• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best shock hoops?

U

Unregistered

I'm planning on upgrading my shock mounts to hoops. Who makes the best set up for front and rear?
Thank you

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like the Duff Stage II long travel hoops( you'll need at least a 2" body lift). They bolt on, plus I think they are about 1" taller than the WildHorses Extreme Hoops. My Duffs Stage II fit almost against the top of the fenderwell.

Blue71

Last edited:

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
How about some F250 mounts and put the $ you save towards something else? You're probably gonna save about $100. and get the same results. Just my 2 pennies.

david heater

Loc.
Westminster,Co
I think you should go about it this way.
1. do you have a body lift? I have 2" and really regret the hoops I put on when I had no body lift.
If you have the lift go for one that will put it right into or almost into the inner fender.

2. the F250 shock towers, I have setting on a shelf. those look like they are going to be some work to gusset and support to run them as high as I want to. so, I'm looking into Duffs stage two hoops also and by talking with them they are about 1 to 1-1/2" inches below the inner fender
bottom line realize what you want to do before you purchase twice

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
GJBroncoMan said:
Those look okay, but why would anyone spend twice what Duff charges for essentially the same thing? ?:?
Actually alot of difference, these also have a brace across the engine to the top of each hoop.

expobronc

iwlbcnu said:
Actually alot of difference, these also have a brace across the engine to the top of each hoop.

would you need the brace? especially if there wasnt a flexible joint/bushing there where it mounts to the frame? and wow $$

david heater

Loc.
Westminster,Co
raharr3 said:
OK, but why would you use mounting tabs and then spring bushings to mount. that is why he has to have the cross over in the engine compartment. not a bad idea. but to me it seems like more stuff to deal with un-bolt the cross over to re-move the parts off the top of the motor. hope the cross over bolts stay tight or you have a lot more issues to deal with. Still leaning towards Duffs hoops....;)

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
I hadn't noticed the mounting on the ones from Complete OffRoad. Now that I have, it makes no sense to me at all. You don't want shock mounts to move, so why attach them with one bolt and bushings, then have a crossover to keep them from moving??? The way the Duff hoops attach is MUCH stronger than these, at half the cost. Seems to me there's no comparison...

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
That engine brace is very important. I have seen two sets of Duff hoops literally explode due to all the up and in force they absorb. If you have a stiffer shock, like a Bilstien, and do anything the least bit crazy, like catching just a small amount of air over dirt hills, etc you will end up blowing out the duff hoops. The first one I saw had Ranchos and the second one had Bilstiens. Both had same results. Ripped the shock tabs from the hoop leaving a big hole in the hoop and bent or broke at the frame where they mount. The engine brace gets rid of all the force that these things absorb. In my opinion, the Duff hoops are not built out of strong enough material and the design is the same design that has been used for years and years with no improvements.

I think the mounting on the Complete Offroad is to make them removable at the frame. With those bushings and the way its mounted the shocks will not move, especially with the engine brace.

Clint

highrlr

Loc.
Bismarck, ND
If the Duff's are that much cheaper i think I would jsut buy them and if there was any worry of them collapsing i would just fab up a crossover bar, looks like it would be pretty simple?

Clint

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Or you could go to a local fab shop and have them built. They are simple enough it should be fairly cheap. Just make sure that they build them strong enough.

OP
OP
U

Unregistered

How do the F-250 mounts hold up? Is it false economy to go with something like that?