• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Source for 2BBL Carbs (or what's wrong with mine?)

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
I would like to get a new stock carburetor for the 76 and I am looking for the best source for a new or quality rebuilt. Any ideas? See below for the problem I have when you let off the pedal...

Last edited:

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought both of my new rebuilt ones at Autozone. Motorcraft 2bbl's. Both worked great and I didn't even have to adjust them. I just bolted them on..hooked the linkage and lines up and Wow! what a difference. My stock 68 is manual choke so the Motorcraft 2bbl carb for it was only like $87 and my core. The one for my '74/ auto tranny/with electric cheke was more like 150.00 and my core. Have been very happy with both.

Blue71

67PONY

Loc.
SE Missouri
Check Ebay. There are always many 2100s and 2150s to choose from. I got lucky and was looking for a 2100 w/manual choke. I found one exactly like the original on my truck rebuilt, flow bench tested and finished for $60 (no core required)! The rebuild shop that sold it was closing out items that had been in stock for more than 5 years.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are lots of different 2100s and 2150s out there. You need to get the same venturi size as your original--the number is stamped into the driver's side of the carb body. Mine is a 1.02. You also need to be sure the linkages, dashpots and choke are set up like yours.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Its one of the simplest carbs made to rebuild, just get a quailty kit, a few cans of carb cleaner and go for it. Save yourself a lot of money too.

OP
OP
tcjones76

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
One of the problems with the carb is it doesn't return all the way back to idle as you let off the pedal, but you can push forward on the throttle linkage and it gets back to idle. I disconnected the linkage at the carb and it still does it.

When you let off the pedal, the RPMs stay at 12 to 13K, push on the linkage and it returns to 7 to 8K. Any ideas. I figure the throttle shaft is worn or something like that.

OP
OP
tcjones76

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
Skuzzlebutt said:
Does yor carb have a dashpot or solenoid that could be adjusted?

It doesn't have either dashpot or solenoid. I think I'll pick up some spray carb cleaner tomorrow, and see if that helps it return to idle.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
tcjones76 said:
It doesn't have either dashpot or solenoid. I think I'll pick up some spray carb cleaner tomorrow, and see if that helps it return to idle.
While your cleaning take a look at the throttle return spring. You might need a new one or add one.

67PONY

Loc.
SE Missouri
If the throttle butterfly shaft is worn enough, the butterflies could be sticking in their bores as they shut. You will need to determine this before you go out and buy a rebuild kit. If it is that worn, you'll need to have someone rebuild it for you or replace it with another carb.