• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best tire/wheel combo

paint669

Loc.
maryland
I am going to be driving the bronco daily and ONLY on the street, so what kind of tire would you recommend? I was lookin at the BFG radial long trail T/A, price is sort of a factor. Any suggestions?

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
I've had numerous sets of BFG AT KO's. Got almost 60,000 miles out of them. Great tire. (Better in the snow than the trail TA's too)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I like the BFG AT's for the street also and they are pretty good offroad to. I ran a set of BFG MT's on the street and got over 50,000 miles on them. As for wheels run what you like but if your staying on the street I'd go with aluminum the lighter weight will help accelration and braking.

SNEB77

I like the BFG AT's as well. Thats what i'm running right now, 31's with 48K on them. work well in the snow and do retty well on the trail too.

71 BRNCO

First off, you better call me soon because you missed the GTG in Baltimore...its okay though everyone missed it! We better get some pictures of your new rig up this weekend. I expect that I will get to see it this weekend. I will be in annapolis area on Sunday maybe you could drive it up or come stop by while we pull my motor

As far as tires go. The long trail tires are a little weak def. go with a BFG all terrain tire. Great road manners, still look aggresive and will give you could traction for winter driving. I have a set of 33,s on my J**P back in the day and got like 60k miles. Are you changing wheels. Let me know before you buy anything because I may be able to get a deal on tires of wheels, on shocks, lights and anything else. Talk to you soon man
Kyle

MATT76

Another vote for the BFG AT's - and if you can find a set of aluminum slots in good shape, use 'em. I found mine on Ebay for $25 apiece. Best looking combo IMO.

Attachments

• P3300128.JPG
    P3300128.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 89

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
One more vote for the BFG AT's. I have had them almost a year driving mostly on road but they do pretty good on the trails as well. Here's a pic of my set up

15x8 Eagle's wheels
32x10.5x15 BFG AT's

Attachments

• 2004-70007.JPG
    2004-70007.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 2004-6-200002.JPG
    2004-6-200002.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
P

paint669

Loc.
maryland
Kyle I couldnt help it, i had to take the ACT sat morning. I am trying to pick up the bronco on sat, but my parents dont trust me to drive a stick shift for 2 1/2 hours on the highway as a beginner so im gona have to drag a freind with me or something :(

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
I've had Michilin LTX's since about 96 on my rig. Over 50K on them and they will still last at least through this winter probably longer now that it's not a DD.
I've been waiting for those things to wear out for 2 years so I can go up a size, they just don't want to. Nice and quite, good ride, and comparable in price to the BFG's. I will definalty be buying another set when these finally wear out.
I had BFG muders on there before and they wore out quick. My Dad had the BFG AT's on his Blazer and they were ok, but the truck was a peice of crap chevy. The LTX's are way better on the street in the rain than the BFG muders, and seemed to be better than the AT's but they were on different rigs.

77bronco_ed

Bronco Guru
Tell your folks it is only like driving a stick for 1/2 hour...

Since once you are on the highway you should not have to do much shifting?
When I received my first car it was a stick... My dad said if you stall out three times you can just leave the car on the last stall. Needless to say I learned to drive a stick quickly ;)

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i've had good luck with bfg at's also, but i'm running pro comp all terrains right now. supposed to get 50,000 out of them (looks like i will), they're quiet, ride and handle good, but the reason i have them is width. i wanted a 31 tall, but 12.50 wide. as far as rims, alcoa style rims are popular and they look good. not very expensive either...

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
I've got a set of 33's on my '70 pavement pounder. They're a good looking tire and wear well, but holy smokes, hang on when it rains. I've never seen a tire hydroplane so easily. I was just talking about this subject with a budy of mine who ran a set of 35" BFG AT's on is std cab long bed Silverado and he had the same problem (eliminating any vehicle specific causes).

He now runs 35" Baja Claw Radials. It's hard to imagine by the looks of these tires, but after spending time behind the wheel I'd say they exhibit excellent road manners and keep noise minimal. I'm guessing it has to do with the "V" shapped tread pattern--the next lug is contacting pavement before the preceding lug leaves the pavement. This eliminates any propeller driven airplane noises from emitting from the tire. He has 30,000 on the Claws now and I'd say they maybe have another 5-8,000 more left--needless to say they do not wear like AT's, but as far as the meanest looking street tire that I've never seen hydroplane and exibits marginally louder tire "roar" than AT's, they're hard to beat. I'm definitely switching to them next

This is mine and my buddies experiences/opinions -- so take them as they are.

68beast

Loc.
Covina, Kalifornia
paint669 said:
Kyle I couldnt help it, i had to take the ACT sat morning. I am trying to pick up the bronco on sat, but my parents dont trust me to drive a stick shift for 2 1/2 hours on the highway as a beginner so im gona have to drag a freind with me or something :(

I dont trust myself going beyond my own street with a stick! I suck at driving it, and it doesnt help that it is an NP 435. And damn dont you hate standardized testing, I stoped at the SAT2 didnt want to do the ACT ;D .

72bronco

Bronco Guru
Mine is a daily driver that spends most of it's time on pavement. I have 33x12.5 BFG M/T tires. They handle great on and off road and even in the rain. Unlike other mud terrain tires these are actually pretty quiet on the pavement. I know there are other brands that hummm loudly on the highway, but with the BFG tires I have to say that they are not very noisy at all. Mine are mounted on 15x10 rims.

Attachments

• Bronco4.jpg
    Bronco4.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 45

71 BRNCO

I have the best answer for you. First off I will go with on Saturday and drive the truck back for you if you need someone. Second just buy a lift kit now and put some 35's on. Thats a great plan you can thank me later. What time should I be to your place on Saturday to go pick up the new beast. By the way call me since I didn't save your number anywhere. Later

kyle