• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Way to Bleed Brakes

Dave_in_Texas

Loc.
Denton, TX
Guys-

My time as of late is somewhat limited in the garage, but I need to bleed my brake system after a disc upgrade. Tried gravity bleeding, but is taking a long time.

What is the best and most efficient way to bleed the brakes? More than likely it is with a vacuum pump or pressure system. What do ya'll recommend? Links would be great!!

Thanks,

Dave

Muddn7

Loc.
alamogordo, nm
Discs are simple! Call a friend, grap a sixer of beer (optional)
There is a perfect way to bleed the brakes, and the just as good and I use way!

Have your friend hop in the seat.
Have him pump the brakes 3 times, then hold on the fourth like he is applying hard brake pressure.
Loosen the brake bleed port.
After this, refill the resevoir 3/4 full for the proiper system you are bleeding. You use alot more when bleeding the brakes the first two steps than any other.
Continue the process untill you see the new fluid! NO BUBBLES, or foam!

Usually it takes about 4 times:

Have your buddy push on the brakes very hard 1, down and up, 2 down and up, 3 down and up, 4 down and hold: He/ she will feel the pedal go to the ground on the first bleed. Make sure they hold it until you close the valve. The second time thet do it, the pedal wont go down to the floor, and so on....

joshm28

Loc.
Jasper, AL
X2 on what muddn said. But, make sure you keep the master cylinder filled or you will pull air in the line and have to start all over again.

RV77

Loc.
Springfield,IL
Guys-

My time as of late is somewhat limited in the garage, but I need to bleed my brake system after a disc upgrade. Tried gravity bleeding, but is taking a long time.

What is the best and most efficient way to bleed the brakes? More than likely it is with a vacuum pump or pressure system. What do ya'll recommend? Links would be great!!

Thanks,

Dave

Hey Dave - I just went thru this also.....If you are having problems getting any pressure from the back ....I had a bad master cylinder....it worked for the front brakes but there was only fluid dribblin' out the back.I took the line off the Por. valve and hardly anything trickled out.Replaced the MC and then-

I used the vacuum pump method to get the fluid moving and then left the hoses on and had the wife pushing the pedal.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd asked this question on the lonestar list and got a great reply. Use a stick to hold the peddle down and you have a one person brake bleed system. The only thing is I can't use a tube to see when the fluid stop coming out. That makes it kinda messy.

Eugene

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
First off if you don't have speed bleeders, use some clear tubing and a catch bottle or platic paint cup. Start from the brake that is farthest from the Master which is the rear Passanger side. crack the bleeder with the tube on it and stated before have someone pump it and hold the last pump all the way to the floor and then tighten the bleed screw. Refill the master and then go to the Rear drivers then the front passanger and lastly the front drivers. Then start it all over with the rear passanger and go around again. After 4 or 5 times you shouldn't see any bubbles or foam and you are good to go.

stock1970

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, Kansas
I would be right over to help but you are to far away.. i wish i lived in a nieghbor hood full of broncos.. gggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. I dont even think one car guy lives in my nieghbor hood..

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I was a little scepticle when I saw those one man bleeders at Autozone for 5 bucks, but decided to try it. To my surprise it actually works pretty good.