• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best way to flush trans cooling system

jonlorio

While I am rebuilding the c4 in my truck, I need to flush the trans cooler, radiator, and lines because the old fluid was contaminated with clutch material. How have yall flushed the system?

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
x2 on the trans line cleaner. You can get it at NAPA or any other parts place. Before I used it I flushed the line of old fluid. I put an old water bottle over the end of one of the cooler lines and taped it on. Then I put 50 psi in the other line and blew the fluid out. It was insanely messy. Once I emptied the bottle a few times I sprayed the cleaner fluid the same way. The I did just air to get it all the way clean. Maybe I have OCD.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
It you have had a transmission failure and metal was in the oil. you may need a new cooler. The flat plate coolers are impossible to clean, the round tube ones can be cleaned.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
It you have had a transmission failure and metal was in the oil. you may need a new cooler. The flat plate coolers are impossible to clean, the round tube ones can be cleaned.

X2 on that! You can not get all the metal out, just simply replace the cooler and be done.

I have a section of PVC pipe that I made that holds a quart of fluid with a solid cap on one end and a threaded cap on the other end. Both ends are tapped and have hoses attached. I fill it with diesel fuel or whatever cleaner I want to use, attach one end to the tranny line and the other end to a blow gun. You can flush it out till you get clean fluid, then I always flush tranny fluid through the line for a final flush. This is cheap and has worked real well.