• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best way to know EXACTLY where to locate strikers

Miker

Bronco Guru
Anyone know of the best, FOOLPROOF way to locate the strikers for perfect door latch connection that will the door panel flush with fender and rear quarter panel?
Kinda' nervous before my attempt......?:?

Attachments

• photo-9.jpg
    photo-9.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
maybe this is a better pic

Attachments

• photo-9.jpg
    photo-9.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 78

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA

Joker11

Loc.
Yuma, Arizona
I would put the strikers on before I sanded and painted. But I am interested to see how you go about this one.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Only way I can tell now is to measure four times and cut or drill once. Measure depth from edge of door to latch assembly, then same on body. Make it adjustable as mentioned.

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
There are a few guys on here that have glass bodies.I would PM them for some measurements and pics.Make sure to tell them what year doors you have.Love the color.:eek:

DJs74

Bronco Guru
If doors are on... you could try:

obtain some art clay or use wax. Roll into ball, place in door latch so that it protrudes enough to slightly rub door jamb. You can apply a thin layer of wax or other white residue substance (crisco for example) to the jamb. Close door and slowly push to the point of the door latched position. (or you could put some lithium grease or vaseline on the wax)

The wax or clay should leave a track and stopping point in the white residue on the jamb.

You could also take some pre-measurements and make a preliminary mark in pencil - then compare with the wax/grease method just as a double check

Hopefully strikers will be adjustable within 1/8" or so

Good luck

DJs74

KBUCK1

You. Will have to drill a total of three holes. The two on the top and bottom will be inline with each other. The other offset. I have never worked on a glass tub, but assuming they have some metal reinforcement in there. It could even be like the factory plate and move some. that would be ideal. I couldn't imagine that it was designed expecting you to have the striker installed precisely with no margin of error. If you have 68 to 77 doors I'll get you a measurement. If I remember correctly the holes that are drilled in the factory sheet metal are roughly 5/8 in diameter

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
If doors are on... you could try:

obtain some art clay or use wax. Roll into ball, place in door latch so that it protrudes enough to slightly rub door jamb. You can apply a thin layer of wax or other white residue substance (crisco for example) to the jamb. Close door and slowly push to the point of the door latched position. (or you could put some lithium grease or vaseline on the wax)

The wax or clay should leave a track and stopping point in the white residue on the jamb.

You could also take some pre-measurements and make a preliminary mark in pencil - then compare with the wax/grease method just as a double check

Hopefully strikers will be adjustable within 1/8" or so

Good luck

DJs74

Great Idea, THANKS!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would try taping the door jamb. take a piece of side walk chalk and shape it into the shape of the striker with a point on it. lock the chalk into the door latch and close the door gently. might take a couple of pratice runs but with patience it would be possible.

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
I would try taping the door jamb. take a piece of side walk chalk and shape it into the shape of the striker with a point on it. lock the chalk into the door latch and close the door gently. might take a couple of pratice runs but with patience it would be possible.

Another good idea! Thanks.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Have never tried it, but why couldn't you place striker in door latch, spray foot powder on striker post and gently close the door? Not saying it's a good idea, just first thing that came to mind.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or, a few small dabs, very small, of 5 minute JB weld under striker, put it where you think it should be, and if it's right, drill away. Repeat as necessary.